A/C Question

Pale340

Hey all!

First off, if this topic is in the wrong forum I apologize and please move it to where it goes. The question is, how much oil goes into the compressor? I bought a re-manufactured unit from Summit Racing and it has 3oz of oil already in it. This is a R-134 unit. I have replaced the drier and the line from the drier to the expansion valve. This system was running R-134 already and was blowing pretty cold. The inner compressor bearing was going out as it was very loud and sounded like it was coming apart. So, how much more oil, if any, do I add to the new compressor, and how much R-134 should I put back into the system? I do have a vacuum pump and gauges. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

the company that re-manufactured the A/C unit should give specs on how to add additional oil to the compressor if any. The r-134 conversion kit should give specs on the new amount of refrigerant used... some retrofit kits use far less 134 than the standard r12.

It came from Summit Racing and the sticker on it says it was shipped with 3oz of oil and to look at the spec sticker on the car. Mine does not have the sticker and I am not sure it would work anyway due to going to R-134. The R-134 conversion was completed several years ago before I got the car so I have no specs on the kit. I just do not want to put to much in it.