Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Masamoose

Potential 71 owner

Hi all,

My first car was an 87 monte carlo, I've always been a fan of these cars. Today a coworker approached me and asked if I would be interested in a 1971 Monte Carlo with a 402, fully loaded all electric windows, ac etc... it's his fathers car, has been sitting in a barn since 1985 with roughly 75 or 80k miles on it. It will need a fair amount of overhauling but it's all there. The chrome was removed but in great shape still with the car.

I'm looking at possibly getting this car for 2k. What might the value be if I invest time into freshening up the car?

What are the normal rust areas?

Might anything be rare or unique with this car? He is talking about how loaded up it was with features that others dont normally have.

Thanks for any feedback, look forward to hearing from everyone.

Ben

post-24226-0-64427100-1534822600_thumb.jpg

post-24226-0-01656400-1534822613_thumb.jpg

post-24226-0-51223100-1534822625_thumb.jpg

From the pictures it looks like it may have ac ducts under the dash and possibly has the rear defrost fan switch in the dash as well.

All I can see at a glance that may be an option.

Looks solid and common rust areas are lower fender behind the tires, quarters, rear window corners especially if there's vinyl, floorboards and trunk floors.

Anyone want to add?

From the pictures it looks like it may have ac ducts under the dash and possibly has the rear defrost fan switch in the dash as well.

All I can see at a glance that may be an option.

Are these rare options? any thoughts on value of the car once its refreshed and brought back to life? 

It has a rear defogger, remote drivers mirror, A/C, 402, AM FM radio and cloth seat covers. I can not tell for sure, but it might have gauges instead of idiot lights. I would buy it. These are not rare options, but they are nice options. Most Monte Carlo's came with a 350 engine. A 402 is somewhat rare. That might be a tilt column in there.

Are these rare options? any thoughts on value of the car once its refreshed and brought back to life? 

It looks like a great car for 2K. As to the value, it all depends what you decide to do with the car. Good luck!!! 

Welcome!

Looks decent. Nice options with the 402, AC, power windows. Check the trunk and floorboards for rust. You can count on there being rust around the back window as this is very common with a vinyl top car. As said the areas behind the front and rear wheels are common rust areas too.

Car looks in great condition, yet you can sink a ton of money on it and never recover it. Some of us are in it for different reasons just as worded by our mission statement. The asking price is fair I suppose, they're not getting cheaper.

Though this site/link my give you a small peek into its value.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1971/Chevrolet/Monte-Carlo/2-Door-Hardtop/Values

I think the 402 is the rarest option I can see.  The majority of the Monte's came with air.  The AM/FM radio is not standard but also is not super rare but if it has an 8-Track that would be somewhat more rare.  The remote mirror, while not standard equipment it is not super rare.  The power windows were also not standard and not rare.  The cloth seats is also not rare.

I agree with what others have said about the rust areas to look closely at.  I would think if you can pick it up for 2K that would be a good deal/steal from what I can see in the pictures.  Seeing that it has a vinyl roof you will want to check closely for signs of rust under the vinyl roof.  I would almost guarantee there is rust under it, especially around the bottom corners of the rear window.

One  thing I noticed in the picture from the front is how the bumper is mounted.  On the passenger side it looks normal but as it goes across to the drivers side it looks like the filler panel below the grille protrudes over the top of the bumper on the drivers side but may be level or below the bumper on the passenger side..  This filler panel should fit nicely into the bumper and not above the bumper.

You did not mention if it will run of if it is possible to even turn over the engine to see if it is bad.

Good Luck and I hope you are able to pick this car up .  BTW, I notice it says you are in Pennsylvania.  Where in Pa are you located, I am in Pittsburgh but we have members in a lot of areas around Pa

rob

I think the 402 is the rarest option I can see.  The majority of the Monte's came with air.  The AM/FM radio is not standard but also is not super rare but if it has an 8-Track that would be somewhat more rare.  The remote mirror, while not standard equipment it is not super rare.  The power windows were also not standard and not rare.  The cloth seats is also not rare.

I agree with what others have said about the rust areas to look closely at.  I would think if you can pick it up for 2K that would be a good deal/steal from what I can see in the pictures.  Seeing that it has a vinyl roof you will want to check closely for signs of rust under the vinyl roof.  I would almost guarantee there is rust under it, especially around the bottom corners of the rear window.

One  thing I noticed in the picture from the front is how the bumper is mounted.  On the passenger side it looks normal but as it goes across to the drivers side it looks like the filler panel below the grille protrudes over the top of the bumper on the drivers side but may be level or below the bumper on the passenger side..  This filler panel should fit nicely into the bumper and not above the bumper.

You did not mention if it will run of if it is possible to even turn over the engine to see if it is bad.

Good Luck and I hope you are able to pick this car up .  BTW, I notice it says you are in Pennsylvania.  Where in Pa are you located, I am in Pittsburgh but we have members in a lot of areas around Pa

rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the pointers, i will do some further checking on it!! 

I noticed the same with the bumper, not sure whats going on, need to look into it further.

Im in Horsham, about 5 hours from your area.

Hopefully i end up making a deal on the car, would love to get back into one

Ben

In addition to what others noted, it has the optional belt line moulding. It was an option all 3 years. It also has the power trunk release and the trunk light. I think the trunk light option also comes with other lighting.

I'm wondering what the yellow stickers on the bottom of the trunk lid are.

If you want to restore and flip it for a profit, you would do better buying a different model. If you just want to fix and enjoy, buy it now. That's a good price.

They probably started to remove the front bumper and stopped short.

Dan

Now That's!! a good deal at that price. I hope they took all the trim off correctly, that can get expensive. I paid way more for mine(SBC) and I frame-off restored it. It just hit its 14th yr with me. BIG Block ,don't look away from this one, Snap it up quick!!

Jim

Hi All,

I got more pictures of the car, wanted to share my concerns and see what others thought...

Quarter panels and rocker panels look like they need replacing, agreed?

Trunk Pan looks like its rotted on d/s near wheel-well, cant see under tire so i'm imaging the same?

Deck Lid needs replacing

Possible rot along bottom of vinyl top/top of quarter panel area? 

Paint - needs respray... 

What do you guys think is a fair price on this car as a buyer? 

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

Masamoose, it needs work. And that is just what you see. When you start to work on it, it's like opening a can of worms. There is always more. You mentioned in your first post 2k for the car. I feel that is a fair price for a number matching big block car. If for some reason you don't want it, please let me know. I will be there with 2k and a trailer immediately just by the pics you posted. 

I think that for 2k you can't go wrong. I looks like a well optioned car. If I were close by I would buy it. Good luck

My buddy just shared this with me and it makes sense... why buy into this when a finished car is going for sale for about just as much as id put into this one? if not less? im so torn on what to do

41456157_317797532131489_2795779884402606080_n.jpg

Honestly, depends on your skillset. It is easier and makes more sense to buy a driveable, nice looking car. That one looks to be classic copper, a one year only color in 71.  I personally don't have a big chunk of change in my account but I can invest a little at a time to get there. 

Only you know what's best for you. The finished car is instant driver, the silver one is not.  Again, if you do not take the silver one, please let me know.  Thanks and good luck!

4 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Honestly, depends on your skillset. It is easier and makes more sense to buy a driveable, nice looking car. That one looks to be classic copper, a one year only color in 71.  I personally don't have a big chunk of change in my account but I can invest a little at a time to get there. 

Only you know what's best for you. The finished car is instant driver, the silver one is not.  Again, if you do not take the silver one, please let me know.  Thanks and good luck!

Ok, im going to confirm the cost and let them know your interested, the car is in NY so this may be a perfect deal for you. 

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Im going to message you the details 

Cool - looks like everybody's happy!  I'm glad we have some members who have the time, knowledge and skills to save first gen Montes from the salvage yard because I could never tackle a project like that, regardless of the initial price.  Good work and good luck!

Nice Car!  Always wanted a big block!

Just wondering what the chrome thing on the drivers fender is. Turns on an alarm? Factory? Don't ever recall seeing that on other cars!

image.png.d01fae4e5d5a7cb4f3c9a48bf88a7322.png

Should be a good project.

Brian

Yes. The chrome thingy is for a Chapman lock. Old school alarm system. It will be a good project. Car is not bad at all.