Found a cool pic when i was a young gearhead

Steve G

Really young,

Attached is a pic of me when i was about 11 or 12 and my first time racing my Oldsmobile R/C Nascar.

This was the first time i was racing in an actual race series where people toured all over the west coast. This was at a track in Bakersfield California. 

When my car went through tech it failed because My car was setup to run Alcohol and had a header but the class I entered for the season was sportsman series and it was gas only with a muffler.

I was kinda bummed out but the guys that raced were all retired, most in their 60s and toured the country in big 5th wheel trailers and they took their hobby very serious. 

The racers were confident that there was no way i could be competitive since it was my first time racing and i was 50 years younger than the other experienced racers they asked tech to let it slide. Tech was ok with it as long as all the racers (20 racers or so) agreed.

Tech had one stipulation that i cant block racers if they choose to pass me.

So during the race (100 laps) i had to fuel up early since my car was alcohol ... it caused confusion and everyone else pitted with me. A few laps after that i was already 6 laps down and in last place but was having fun, a nasty crash happened and took out about half the cars. Each race ran 10 cars at a time till the finals so now i was guaranteed at least 5th place. A few more crashes and some freak car problems left the track with only me and the national champion from the previous year. Since there was no chance of me recovering all the laps i lost the track officials told us 6 more laps and they will call the race. Well a few laps later the leading car snapped the driveshaft and left me all alone on the track. It was crazy hearing all the people cheering in disbelief. "do 6 laps and you win" i hear over the speakers.

I won 1st place on my first race.

post-298-0-36523600-1534913408_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, good story.... Thanks Steve.... Now Im gonna have to find some old photos at Danbury state fair circle track rolling tires around the pits for Chicky Stockwell in the 7/11 jalopy  circa 1970....

Thanks Steve