BBC fan for 71 SS

A_Rescue

hello all

looking at electric fan kits fr a 71 monte SS BBC with 650 HP.  So many options between 200 and 500 bucks its hard to know what is and isnt effective.  Anyone with a reliable electric fan set up want to chime in?  the EFI controller I am leaning towards gives me a 2 fan option with fan relay control at selectable temps.  Some fans offer an autonomous temp control and some don't.  Not sure if I need variable speed controller with two adjustable fan on/off built into EFI controller

Whats working for you guys?

Thanks

John

• 2 weeks later...

I had a single big fan that I installed inside the fan shroud. It was mounted with the typical zip ties against the rad. I felt keeping the shroud avoided having that big space between the engine and radiator and directed some air at the engine as well.

I had it on a switch but it was real annoying to keep remembering to turn it on. I'd go with something that comes on automatically.

Steve

I have never really had the truck "loaded". With the 5.3 and the big radiator they are actually overkill because it runs around 208 going down the highway and the fans don't even come on unless I have the A/C on. Sitting in traffic with the A/C on they keep it around the same temp.

On my 71 with the big block I have a copper 4 core radiator and the stock clutch fan and it runs right a 192-198 all day.