wiring questions

willie

Hello everyone, I cant figure out to put pics up but I have a few questions. As you know I am building a 72 BB with a 400 auto. The entire engine harness was shot, so I replaced it but I need to know where some wires go.

On the right side of the motor I have an long orange wire and also a long green wire. I don't know where the orange wire goes? I think the green goes to temp sending on the right side head?  

But on the left side I also have a green and white wire that I think should go on the temp sending on the left side head?  Is that strange I have 2 separate temp sending unit and different ends, 1 has a push on end the other side head has a nail head for a different clip?

Also i have a brown wire at the coil, What side of the coil does that go on? Same side as the dist wire(-)? Or does it go on the side with the orange and white wire(+)?

Again i have a few pics on my phone just cant figure out how to post them.

Thanks for the help

Willie asked me to post the following pictures for him

rob

post-20-0-87990700-1536100555_thumb.jpg  post-20-0-72137500-1536100459_thumb.jpg  post-20-0-93594100-1536100484_thumb.jpg  post-20-0-74695500-1536100527_thumb.jpg  post-20-0-57693700-1536100432_thumb.jpg  

The brown wire sounds like it is for a tach. This wire would go to the negative coil terminal. The temp. sending unit with the nail head is for a car with full gauges. The other style is for idiot lights. You should only have one temp. sending unit, not one for each head.

Willie, to start with did you get the right harness for your year ? a 1970 harness will not work in a 1972 and also the wiring diagram for a 1970 wont work for a 1972. There are obviously some same wires and colors but late 71 and 72's didnt have the same horn replay or Volt regulator as a 1970. Also a 72 AC harness is different than a Non AC harness. Long Orange wire is usually for the left side of the engine compartment not the right side if you are standing in front of the car looking down. Solid orange is for Blower fan/Heater.

let us know.....

Darren

• Like 1

First let me say Thanks to Rob for posting the pics for me.

Thank You to everyone for the help.

I ordered this awhile ago, but it seems to be correct for my application, 72 monte 454, auto 400 with gauges and a/c. Everything fits fine just plug and play.  

Brown wire is tach and goes on neg side of coil.

Being I have 2 temp sending units (1 in each head) here lies the problem. The pics I show have a solid green wire on the left side and I have a green with white stripe on the right side. What one is the correct one? And if someone knows what is the other wire for? And then there is the orange wire, What is this for?

Darren the orange wire is not for the heater blower because it comes out of the part of the harness that goes to the starter as is the green and white wire.    

The heater blower wire comes from the part of the harness that extends across the a/c bracket for the poa valve and the other relays there. Everything on that side is hooked up and plugged in already, including the heater blower.

I have checked all my parts cars to no avail, they are not BB cars so they have different harnesses.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Willie, my car is a 70 with a 454. The prior owner replaced the harness. My car also had a extra orange wire that ran to the trans switch with the purple and black wire. Does it have a single female connector. The assembly manual shows the orange wire is for a manual trans, they recommend cuting it off and taping it to the harness. Thats what I did. My car also has a bright green wire on the drivers side and a darker green wire on the passenger side. I beleive the right side is for the TCS relay. Maybe some one else can verify. I hope this helps and good luck....

Thanks Paul, Ok so now I can get rid of that orange wire.

2 wires down 2 to go.

Still trying to figure out the green wires. We know 1 of them is for the temp sending unit.

Witch one is the million dollar question?  lol  

Thanks for the help!!!

Getting there

I bought a 71 350 4BBL no A/C, for it's gauge package 30 years ago.

It had a temp sensor on each head, where my idiot light Monte had one on the left with TWO connectors. I was afraid to try to remove the right side sensor since it was for the TCS system that I had already removed.

I think my wire is green.

This picture is PRIOR to the wire harness swap, note two wires on the left head.

post-76-0-91236300-1536154969_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bruce,   I tend to believe that the solid green wire on the left bank is the wire I need for the temp sending unit.

However I still need to find out what the green and white wire on the right side is for?

Willie, since I unhooked my TCS system, I would bet it is for that, everything else works.

Bruce

Willie, I looke at my engine this morning and I don't see a green wire with white. The first picture is of the right side and the second is  the left. I haven't looked at a a 72 wiring diagram. MIne is a 70image.thumb.jpeg.96752471cb693bf5eab61813d0aca2e1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8659c715a96b8f7304678d44eb36a5dc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8659c715a96b8f7304678d44eb36a5dc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8659c715a96b8f7304678d44eb36a5dc.jpeg

Thanks Paul, I see what you have and mine is different. Both of my wires are coming from the harness in different areas. The right side is coming from the harness from behind the motor where the starter wires go down the back, but the green jumps out from behind motor and up to something in front. (I think).  The left side is coming from on your pic from harness on fender well. Mine is coming from main harness on firewall down with all the carb leads. And then continuing forward another 18in.

Thanks for the pics Paul.

I need someone to jump in with a 72 BB so I would know for sure.

Thank You again everyone

I have this picture (not the best) where a green with white stripe wire is connected to a relay on my firewall. I have NO idea what it does. (I think TCS related)

I also have a second relay (one 2 wire connector and one 1 wire connector were attached to it) just to the right of this one that I unhooked years ago because it was clicking like crazy! (also I think it's TCS related)

Bruce

IMG_0309-001.JPG

Bruce, my car has a spot for the second relay but I have nothing there. My TCS Relay has a dark green wire to the sensor and it looks like a dark blue and black with purple stripe to the solenoid on the intake manifold. Not sure what the other relay would be for.image.thumb.jpeg.21ae5e29bb89e2d595543b0daefdd607.jpeg

Perhaps we are trying to compare apples to oranges?

I don't have A/C, never did and my 71 is a 350 4 bbl, all stock (except I removed most of the TCS stuff 40 years ago.)

I have the factory gauge package. Swapped from another 71 350 4 bbl, NO A/C car, I bought over 30 years ago just for the gauge package and all it's wiring.

Good luck,

Bruce

I agree Bruce we are comparing apples and oranges. I already checked my parts cars and they don't have 2 wires on the temp sending unit, they only have 1 and its green on the left side. Some do have the relay with 2 wires like the pic, but 1 car doesn't have the relay there.

I took a pic of the spaghetti (old wiring harness) from this 72 454 car and there is a green with a white stripe on the right side just like the replacement has. The problem is there is no end on it so I cant place it to anything.

I have to get a pic from someone with a 72 454 to help. 

On a good note, when I was getting into the spaghetti the tape was falling off and out popped an orange wire that was cut and tucked under the tape. So that confirms we don't need the orange wire on the right side, as we found out yesterday it belongs to manual tranny.

So the only wire that we have to find out about is the ever elusive green with white stripe on the right side.

Thanks for helping guys

Here you go guys, I finally got my Son to stay for 5 mins and show me how to download pics. This time I wrote them down. LOL  

Anyway you can see why I changed the harness or what is left of it. Lol  The whole harness is like this.

The green with white stripe is there and looked like it was hooked up somewhere.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Willie, my old parts book shows a anti dieseling relay listed for a 1971. The book doesn't list one for the 72 and I'm not sure where it mounted. Bruce has a 71 so I thought maybe. I also looked at a few after market catalogs to see if they show that wire on a replacement harness but nothing. Maybe someone else knows something about the anti dieseling relay location

Hey Paul, I was thinking maybe the temp sending unit on the RIGHT side is not a temp sending unit. Maybe its a unit for the TCS like you mentioned. The green with white wire is on the Right side also and both are not connected. So it makes sense to me that's where it goes.

What do you guys think?

That may make sense, like I said on my car the wire is dark green, It might be possible that the company that reproduced the harness used a green with w/stripe. Do you have the TCS solenoid and relay with the car?? Did the 72 used the same system?

Paul, yes I do. Haven't gotten to it yet but I have it some where.

When I got the car I had no idea it was a "W" code custom, but it was in pieces and had very bad rust issues. The nose wasn't even on the car it was 20 ft away. Everything was rusted and pitted. Bottom line is, because of my lack of knowledge and the love of the car, this particular car is being rebuilt. It should not have been, it was to far gone. That's one of the reasons I ask so many questions, I have no idea.lol

So again Thanks to you and the rest of the guys for helping me out.

Thanks to All

My car wasn't in rusty shape but I've been trying to put it back to stock. The prior owners did so many things to it that don't make sense. I have also been asking a lot of questions. This forum has so many knowledgeable people which is a great help. Good luck