side seat belt retractor cover.

wtd

I need to remove the seat belt retractors that are mounted on the floor next to the doors on my 70 Monte.  How do you get the covers off without damaging them?  Thanks.

Wayne

Hi Wayne. To remove the seat belt retractor covers you pop the secret "door" open and then remove the bolt inside and remove the cover and seat belt retractor. The "door" is usually on the skinny side that faces the back seat. 

Some of them don't have the doors as Thomas describes (My 70 didn't). I just had to keep prying at it from the bottom and they eventually popped up. I was not too concerned if that marked them up since I replaced them with new overs. I had to take the retractor apart in order to get the covers off of the belt then reassemble with the new cover.

Mine do not have doors and I want to re-use these covers since they are in pretty good shape and they are blue which are hard to find.  They are also the deluxe covers.  I'm replacing the carpet and seats from some I bought used.  I guess I'm just going to have to be careful and see if I can get them off without ruining them.  Thanks.

Wayne

I see why you want to keep them. You will have to pry at them for them to pop up carefully. Not sure of any better way. They hook on about half way down the cover, not at the bottom.

Thanks for that link.  I had also done a search and found the same info on an Oldsmobile forum.  It worked very well.  I pushed on the front and rear of the covers and they came right off.  Thanks again.

Wayne