Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
Rob Peters

Testing New Site Picture Posting

Me with my original Monte that I bought off a dealer lot in August of 1970, My Model A that I bought in 1965 when I was 15 and still own and my current Monte Carlo.

My original Monte Carlo was a 1970 in Desert Sand.  This must have been a rare color because since I purchased my current Monte in 2001 I have only come across one other 1970 Monte in Desert Sand.

rob

4.jpg

Model A Passenger Side.jpg

MVC-182F.JPG

Great photos, Rob!  Your Model A is striking.  Did you buy it that way or have you restored it?

Dennis I restored it.  It has quite an interesting history.  The weekend I purchased it we had the body off the frame, starting a more than 3 year restoration.  Unfortunately since I was only 15 and had no idea how to weld the body work I did was body putty.  Now, over 50 years later it could stand another restoration.  

The Model A was originally purchased by an instructor at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.  When he retired he sold it to an undergraduate who, when he graduated sold it to another undergrad and it kept being passed on like this until 1962 or 1963 when an graduated drove it home to Jacksonville Florida and it sat in a carport there until 1965 when I bought it.

While being owned by different undergrads it was painted the navy colors of Blue and Gold and was used at the pep-rallies to tow the canon Navy shot off at home games when they scored a touchdown.  It was still painted the navy colors when I bought it..

I did the majority of the restoration myself.  I still love driving the Model A even thought it is more like work to drive compared to my Monte Carlo..

rob