Replacement VIN tag

sredmyer

So I have a opportunity to buy a 1971 SS454 project car.  The car is all there and there is one decent build sheet for the car proving it is an SS with power windows and locks.  Problem is that several years ago there was a leak in the windshield that caused the VIN to rust to the point of being unreadable.  This happened while the car was in California and a the car was taken to the CA highway patrol (or wherever it is one get these things done) and had a replacement VIN tag placed on the door jamb.  It has all the parts that would make one believe it is a real SS but I am just not sure if the replacement VIN tag doesn't just pretty much kill the value.

What are your thoughts?

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

Wow, that really is rotted!!

I think the good thing is that the replacement tag is using the same vin number, correct?

In the case of some recovered thefts and such I've seen them get a state "reassigned" vin, which in my opinion would be worse than what you have there.

Although, I think a replacement vin would hurt on resale, if restored and documented you will still have a beautiful Monte Carlo SS.

Is there any indication on the title of it being a state replaced vin? if not perhaps you can get a new dash vin made and ditch the one in the jam.

I know there are places out there to get replacement trim tags (look for ads in  Hemmings) maybe possible to get yours reproduced?

Hey Steve, I agree with Dave, as long as the replacement tag is the same vin number, and you have all the documentation. I don't think the value would be hurt much. But you will still have a real SS!

I also agree with Dave as well, that is a Replacement Tag. Key word is Replacement, if It said Reassigned then that would hurt the value as the argument arrises that the build sheet could be from any other 71ss as a Reassigned number will look nothing like the original, But a Replacement displays the original VIN still.

I also agree with Leo on obtaining what would or could be considered an original Tag from that company and spend the $20 for the correct rivets off ebay and then reattach the new one in its proper place.  

just my thoughts....

Darren

Thanks for all of the input guys.  Can some one share a link for someone who can make the tag and for those special rivets?  I want to be sure I can get a new tag made and the proper rivets to attach it before I pull the trigger on this project.

there are several companies that do this service these guys i like , also remember there is a vin number stamped on MOST firewalls under the air box usually in 2 locations need to remove air box to see  

Leo                                                   http://www.datatags.com/