Not Monte Related

Rob Peters

My 2013 Chevy Captiva (same thing as a Saturn Vue) started to sound like a racer stock car when first started but eod then quiet down some as it warmed up.  Today I took things apart and it was very easy to spot the problem. Broken exhaust manifold!!!

The hard part is the tear-down.  Access is limited.  The exhaust manifold is sandwiched between the engine and the firewall with very little room to work.  

I got it apart and now need to order the parts and reassemble everything. 

Rob

20180920_145309.jpg

20180920_174031.jpg

20180920_174038.jpg

1 hour ago, Andy's Auto said:

Rob, every time I get one of those manifolds in, I ask the customer if they have had recent headaches. The carbon monoxide gets picked up by the air conditioner.  Very common problem on the 2.4s on any GM platform.

Andy, was not getting headaches but when first started we would get a whiff of exhaust fumes.  I truly feel there is a definate design flaw.  I had never  before seen an exhaust manifold split in half like this and now, since I told others about it I am hearing it is a very common problem on these ecotech engines.

rob

• Like 1