Batt Cables

Willie,

I thought they were different.  I got my original style top mount cables from Lutty's.  You can go to their site to see hat they have available.  You could also call them direct to ask if they are different than the Chevelle. On their site it looks like the list some of the Monte ones as different but others they have labeled as interchangeable.  Here is their link.

https://www.luttyschevy.com/search.html?#!

I also looked at The Parts Place Willie.  It looks like the part numbers they stock are different between the Chevelle and the Monte Carlo

rob

Willie, is it for a top post, or the heavy duty battery with side posts for an SS? I called American Autowire with my buildsheet codes for our SS cables. They are longer than Chevelle.

Dan

I have the part numbers you need. They are on the cables. I'll try to remember to look tomorrow evening.

Dan

Edit: 10/12/18, I checked mine and there are numbers on the cables, but they aren't the numbers that American Autowire uses for ordering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I recall, all 1970 cars had top post batteries. Starting in 1971, GM switched to the sealed side posts that we still have on cars today.

Battery cables are different from the Chevelle because the battery in the Monte is about six inches further away from the engine.

The positive cable goes through a clamp under the upper bolt of the idler arm.

batt one.jpg

• Like 1

Just as I remember it also, I believe top post were BCI group 24, and side post were BCI group 71.

According to:

The Lester catalog index and

The Battery Council International (BCI) is the primary trade association of OEM and after market battery manufacturers.

Not true about top post only in 1970.  I gave American Auto Wire my cable and battery codes from my build sheet to get the correct cables and battery. The heavy duty battery, R79W for SS cars, (and others with that option) is a side post.  The positive cable code is NH, and the negative is LC.

My car came from the factory with a clamp for the positive cable on the bolt for the motor mount perch, where it bolts to the frame. It's number 6 in the assembly manual pic. It did not have the clamp on the idler bolt, but our '71 small block car does. I've seen them on a number of Montes. I ended up putting both on my SS when I restored it. 

Dan

FB_IMG_1507394199619.jpg

• Like 1

Also, the negative cable should bolt to the block, not the alternator bracket. At least, I know this to be true on 2 Van Nuys built SS '70s. Mine and Jim Shneider's came that way. His is an unrestored car with 52k miles. 

Dan

20180922_125659.jpg

The cable bolts directly to the block. This pic is of Jim's 52k mile car. He maintains it, of course, but keeps everything he can as it came from the factory.

Dan

Screenshot_20181030-063416_Chrome.jpg