Bucket Seat Covers.. Where to buy

201fireman

I am taking on the interior of my 72 this winter. Where is a good place to but foam and seat covers for my Saddle buckets? I will also need a headliner so I am assuming I can get that at the same place.  

In regards to the headliner... try it myself or stay away from it and just have someone do it?

You will get a few opinions here. I personally used legendary for my seat covers and foam for my front buckets and rear seats in my 70. The covers are cloth. Legendary covers matched my old ones and are made very well. As far as the headliner, idk. Lol I need one also. I think I will get the headliner kit and have a professional install it. 

IMG_0550.JPG

PUI used to be great for headliner.  My brother bought their headliner for his Nova last year, and I bought one for my Monte Carlo.  His had crooked stitching, and both had puckered seams in at least one spot.  If you have the front and back glass out of the car it isn't terrible to put the headliner in if you're patient, but if the glass is in I would have somebody do it.

I have Legendary seat covers waiting to go into the car, along with ACI foam for the buckets.  Most people recommend not using any other foam company.  My dad used PUI for the seat covers and door panels in his Chevelle; in my opinion they're a bit too flat compared to stock panels.  However, those pieces were bought probably 10 years ago, so they may have improved in that time.

My vinyl bolster seat kit came from Legendary. A bit pricey but well worth it. I really like the bolster foam on the seats they keep me from sliding around and are more comfortable than the original seats. They do sit somewhat higher as the foam is thicker than OEM. They usually have a sale of 25% off that runs from Thanksgiving until after the first of the year. I cannot remember the starting date but it was well worth the wait. I still ended up spending over $1,200 for everything but the carpet which I got from ACC and the headliner which was good.

I used C.A.R.S. Inc for my cloth seat covers and they are excellent quality. Check Legendary and C.A.R.S. for prices. 

I also install my own headliners. They aren't hard to do.  Read online, watch some YouTube videos, and take your time. I was able to get a great fit and zero wrinkles in mine, with no heat needed. 

Dan

20180204_113454.jpg

20170911_052821.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've used the PUI seat material a few times in the past for 1971 and 1972 vinyl seats, never an issue and they look great. For My 71SS it has the factory cloth seats and the only place that had them at the time was C.A.R.S. but they are excellent (but of course more than twice the price of vinyl). 

I know the Legendary stuff is top quality and hear they are the only ones to use for a 1970 because the pleats are correct as opposed to the PUI 1970 seats that the pleats are not pronounce enough.

As far as the headliner, it's not to bad if you have both front and rear glass out. Otherwise it's pretty tight to get in there and stretch the headliner properly. I suggest getting a lot of those binder clips to hold it in place as you work around the top before you start gluing anything.

Steve

New seats.JPG

13 minutes ago, Monteman1971 said:

I've used the PUI seat material a few times in the past for 1971 and 1972 vinyl seats, never an issue and they look great. For My 71SS it has the factory cloth seats and the only place that had them at the time was C.A.R.S. but they are excellent (but of course more than twice the price of vinyl). 

I know the Legendary stuff is top quality and hear they are the only ones to use for a 1970 because the pleats are correct as opposed to the PUI 1970 seats that the pleats are not pronounce enough.

As far as the headliner, it's not to bad if you have both front and rear glass out. Otherwise it's pretty tight to get in there and stretch the headliner properly. I suggest getting a lot of those binder clips to hold it in place as you work around the top before you start gluing anything.

Steve

New seats.JPG

Lots of great information from Steve here.

rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...