1971 Front Bumper Brackets

MC-71

I have been going thru parts and trying to save at least one set of everything correct for my 71 Monte. I just discovered that front bumper brackets for 71 are not the same as a 70 Monte.

I have sets I think for the 70. Anybody sure that these will work on a 71. I'm only missing one bracket for a complete set for the 71. It is the larger one that bolts to the bumper. Don't know right now what side is missing. I will post that info tomorrow. Any body have the 1970 part numbers for the brackets. I could only find the 71 part number. They are 3982483 and 3982484. My 1970 Assembly Manual has no info on the 1970 Front Bumper. I can't find anything about bumpers in that manual.

Thanks, Carl

Hi Carl. The 70 brackets are different than the 71-72. The 71-2 has a  "bulge" or slight kickout to the main bracket. The smaller bracket on the 71-2 also has a hole added between the mounting bolt positions. The bracket  for the 70 will mount the 71 bumper correctly BUT I believe the kickout is to make room for the 71s rectangle turnsignal. The 70s round signal doesn't need the extra room. And we know the 72 has the signals in the grille. Should you need or want the 71-72 brackets I have a few sets.  

Carl, my parts catalog shows that the bumper brackets and braces for the Monte and Chevelle are the same for 1970. So the inner brackets are the same for 70 and 71, part numbers are 3987057 and 3987058. The outer braces are listed for the 70 are 3975431 and 3975432. I hope that helps.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all the reply’s. I have a 72 Monte sitting in my yard and it has the 71 brackets on it. So I’m going to remove them and put 70 brackets on the 72. Thanks for all the help.

Carl