Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Trav Eslinger

New ‘72 owner- already grinding away!

I picked up this ‘72 last week with rot under the top.  I got it with the grinder last night to see how bad it really is... I’m gonna need some metal!  

I can’t find anyone making roof patch panels, so I’m going to treat it and fill it with kitty hair.  Definitely replacing the filler panel and sails.  

Other than that, it needs a front seat recover and a headliner.  

Motor is strong.  It has newer vortec heads, but I haven’t dug into what else has been done motor-wise.  

No rust on the bottom.  Very little surface rust in the trunk.  All in all a great car, once I get the roof rot handled.  

This car has been at the top of my list for many years, so I’m planning on keeping it.  I’m looking forward to learning from and sharing knowledge with y’all!  

I’ve also got a ‘57 Chevy pickup project going.. but that will probably be sold when it’s done.

C47EB098-FCCF-4B2A-B025-C47C6010F72B.jpeg

44A7F3D8-6B13-4265-A18C-B2B5144E3D4F.jpeg

165AFC43-C88D-4EC1-9DD1-872B182ED995.jpeg

EEEC2465-8B0F-4F2A-8ECD-3D08E58ABDE4.jpeg

192BF2AC-EE1F-4BBC-AA7A-9717900B52C3.jpeg

A8015070-29F0-4E0B-B571-D67747573FB4.jpeg

Welcome aboard!

You might be able to find a parts car to section some pieces of roof from.  I will likely be replacing my roof in the next couple months 

Aside from the roof it looks like a very nice car!

Welcome Travis! The filler panel between the trunk and rear window is readily available. That's some serious rust. You would be better off replacing the bad metal. The front roof section from any GM a-body will fit. As for the sail panels maybe leo, another member or another source like az Chevy's  may have good sail panels. By filling what you have will only prolong the inevitable.,... It will be back!!! Just a thought. Good luck either way and welcome again!!!

@Canuck I saw this site while searching last night.  I'll grab what I need from them.  I picked up a deck filler panel from AMD today.. they are only a 20 minute diversion from my route home. 

Anyone making A-body roof patches?  I don't want to buy the whole roof!

Welcome aboard, I agree with everyone replace it now so you don't have to go back and do it later. Looks like a pretty nice car overall. May be able to make some of the patch panels yourself for the mainly flat stuff. Good luck with your project keep us posted.

The stuff Canuck sent you is great for the rear window channel. It's actually made for a Chevelle so a little massaging is necessary. Ask me how I know. Lolol again, I feel for the front of the roof and the sail panels, your best bet is from a scrap yard or if you find a doner car and remove what you need. 

Welcome aboard the boards, we hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member of the club.  I think that is about as bad of a roof as I have seen.  I agree with others that you need to find a donor roof and cut that whole thing out.    I have to say you have your work CUT OUT for you.... excuse the pun.

I hope to see you at a future Eastern Meet, it is the best way to get to know some of our members face to face.

rob

Welcome!!! As others said, do it now you don't need it later. Congrats and good luck.

I have a rust free roof removed from an Arizona car that I wont be using.

PM me if your interested and we can see if we can figure out a way to get it to you.

IMG_1744.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG