questions for 71 owners......

LS5

Ok Guys, here are some questions for you as I Bought my Canadian built 71ss from the previous owner who owned it since new well almost as the original Lady owner only had it 4 months... Anyhow I have spoken with Ken and he said he never made these changes and figured I would ask for a general consensus......

Yes there are some differences between Canadian built cars and the US ones in subtle ways like the cruise control on ss cars and also Dual sport mirrors and so on...

1....In my 71ss it has the Large Tongue and Large Buckle for Both the Should belt and waist belt that are singles as the joint belts didnt start till 72. 

Some have pointed out that its wrong in 71 as they used the wide for shoulder and small tongue and buckle for the waist belt.....(Deluxe Belts)...

What says you guys on this........ 

2... My 71ss has the perforated headliner rather than the basket weave style which is correct and I also have the perforated Sun visors as well but mine are still joined at the rear view mirror... I actually prefer that style but do even notice myself that most 71's have the swing ones that Dont join at the mirror. yes some of the early 71's had the mirror attached ones using old stock in very early models but mine is a later model 71 built at the same time as Larrys and Bruces and am sure they have the small visors.... I dont know if it makes a difference but my passenger side visor has a vanity mirror on it..

Once again what says you guys on this........ 

thats my questions guys.

Darren

Both my 71 SS cars I’ve owned have the standard plastic buckles so can’t comment on that.

I can’t remember for sure what type of visors my Canadian 71 SS had. I beleive they were not the 1970 style. I don’t think the vanity mirror has any impact on the visor style.

Hey Darren!

My 71 SS has;

1. deluxe belts, and the lap belts are the small female head no adjustment, with retractable male end.
  2. a perforated headliner and perforated swing out visors, as well as a vanity mirror on the passenger side.

Mine was built at the Baltimore plant in April of 71 has the dark saddle interior, perhaps the interior color popularity had a determining factor as to how long it took to exhaust any remaining 1970 parts.

71 SS build sheet.jpg

1....In my 71ss it has the Large Tongue and Large Buckle for Both the Should belt and waist belt that are singles as the joint belts didnt start till 72. 

Some have pointed out that its wrong in 71 as they used the wide for shoulder and small tongue and buckle for the waist belt.....(Deluxe Belts)...

What says you guys on this........ 

A: My 71 (Built in Canada) was ordered with Deluxe seat belts. It has (retractable self adjusting) small brushed female buckle for the right ft passenger and driver only. All 6 of the others have a large manual adjusting buckles.

2... My 71ss has the perforated headliner rather than the basket weave style which is correct and I also have the perforated Sun visors as well but mine are still joined at the rear view mirror... I actually prefer that style but do even notice myself that most 71's have the swing ones that Dont join at the mirror. yes some of the early 71's had the mirror attached ones using old stock in very early models but mine is a later model 71 built at the same time as Larrys and Bruces and am sure they have the small visors.... I dont know if it makes a difference but my passenger side visor has a vanity mirror on it..

A: My 71 (Built in Canada) has the perforated headliner and sunvisors, that are small, no anchor at the mirror. NO mirror on the right visor.

Bruce

My 71 SS with bucket seats has the deluxe wide shoulder belt and the small head for the lap belt with the retractable left floor side.

My headliner is the perforated with the unattached sun visors.

If I remember correctly it was built in California, February 1971 and sold in Oregon. Triple black from the factory.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hey Darren, I only have 2 of my SS,s with me. The other is at my Moms over an hour away.

Both have the small sun visors and perforated headliners, one has a vanity mirror.

One has no seatbelts at all (previous owner took them all).  The other has the large black buckle and tongue set.

Hope this helps