ROCKER MOLDING FASTENERS

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

PIC #1

Been looking at various Rocker Molding Clips and have (3) possibilities.  As you can see in pic, 2 separate styles shown.  I have fit both and appear either will do but the front spring on the 2 spring clip likely will have to be trimmed off or compressed closer to clip at minimum for it to work properly.  Any ideas?  The 2 spring style came with the NOS Rocker Panels I bought several years back and were opened packages of clips when I started looking for replacements.  I would prefer to not use any that were with the NOS Rockers

PIC #2

The pad where screw would fasten to rear of Rocker, does this pad belong there?  I think someone modified this location & slathered with Silicone to keep it up against Body.  There was no screw for Rocker on this side.  I did not remove Rocker from Passenger side as I did not want to risk loosing Clip(s) when removed.  Looked thru Assembly Manual but short on the info I was searching for.

PIC #3

These were the Clips that were originally installed when I removed Rocker Molding from Drivers side.  Were these original?

PIC #4

This is the 2 separate Clip Styles and the Tool I will try to remove those Rocker Clips still attached to car.

Any advise appreciated.  Maybe the Part Numbers might help determining use.  I know there are some purchased from Aveco I believe, P/N 8400 (that look like the ones still attached and leads me to believe they are not the original Clips.  This has me confused on what originally was there.

Anyway, any info to enlighten me would be GREAT.

Doug

SPRING TYPES.JPG

SUSPICIOUS CLIP.JPG

FACTORY CLIPS.JPG

CLIPS & TOOL.JPG

The clip you have at the rear of the trim is not correct. There should be a square hole in the metal to receive a plastic spacer that the screw goes into.  The original clips were metal with one spring. The plastic clips are definitely not original, but they are probably the best to use. The metal clips are almost impossible to use, without denting the trim from the inside out, unless the originals fit better than the reproductions. I used the Auveco plastic clips on mine. I had to sand them down a little thinner, because they were too thick, but they worked well. 

Dan

• Like 1

Hey Dan, thanks for the info.  I did finally order the Aveco Clips and will follow your advise when installing.  As far as the Rocker Molding (missing) metal clip, now that I know what I am looking at, I can devise something for that fastener.

Again, thanx...................

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Finally got my lower moldings back on less completing the driver Rocker Molding piece.  I am having difficulty determining what exactly happens per my picture I included.  The threaded nut or? is missing to fasten Rocker Molding.  A patch was made it appears to hold Rocker secure where screw should have been.  I assume the pad shown was put on to dampen the Molding from hitting against body panel and used some type of sealer/adhesive to hold Rocker to patch.  Anyway, does anyone have a Pic or description of what should have been here.  Assembly Manual shows just a screw with a nut on back side.  I would prefer not to remove passenger side to have a look as by doing this I might create a larger problem.  This side is secure with all the clips whereas the driver side was missing (5) clips along with the damage in pic.  I see no way to replace broken/missing nut as it is hidden, so am looking at a similar repair at least for now.  I don't know if there was a special clip or metal piece that would have slipped onto Rocker dampening any crush from securing screw and haven't found anything to identify installation.  New plastic clips installed on driver Rocker and a couple places where clips were missing elsewhere  Any help appreciated to clear up my confusion.  (I thought the NOS Rockers would have had the materials to make a complete installation but only factory clips were included.  Both Clip packages were already opened and may have taken pieces from Clip packages?

I have NOS Rockers and Front/Rear Side Marker Trim but elected not to use them, going with original.  The original while not flawless was in good enough condition to use.  Refurbished lower trim (all) by repainting & polishing.  I also repainted/polished and resealed my Custom/Script Sail Panel Badgeing. 

ps;  Happy belated Thanksgiving to all.  Hope your Turkey Day was GREAT............................

Doug

100_5918.JPG

I noticed plastic inserts were used on at least some models that would snap into place to secure screw to.  Would this be a same type fastener?  Unless I can find factory clip, I will likely make a modification (if needed) to hole to accommodate a replacement plastic style clip.

Doug

In that spot was a plastic push in nut (similar to the plastic nuts that are used on the license plate but smaller). That hole in the rocker should be approximately 3/8 square. The molding has a hole in the end that a screw goes through and into the nut to hold everything from moving.

Steve

Okay, found the plastic style clip going thru my Brothers spare nut/bolt/washer Pavilion.  He saves everything and most often I can find it in his.  Just an FYI - The Plastic Clip is a 5/16 X 5/16 snap in body in case your looking.  There is a machine screw hole through it of course.  Got it all back together now and the Rockers hold tightly now and the refresh of the paint made a noticeable difference.  Not a machine screw as I had described it in pic, just a sheet metal stainless screw.

Doug  

ROCKER MOLDING CLIP.jpg

• Like 2