Right Side Sport Mirror

I was going to wait to post a final painted pic on the car but I couldn't hold out.... So with that here are some pics of a 1978 right side sport mirror that I heavily modified to work on the right side of my Monte. Driving without the right mirror was really a PITA and I've searched forever for the illusive correct mirror so in the end I had to create my own. As you know the 78 mirror is mounted on the side of the door with studs and not the top edge like our left side is. So I removed the studs, cut the base down, created what looks like how a factory mirror would be mounted and made my own. The bonus is that I used a factory mounting bracket and gasket so if I ever come across or if I'm ever able to create the correct right side base, I can simply swap the head off my current mirror and mount it back up in short time. Now the base is slightly different but unless your really looking for it and know something is up, you'd never tell. The hardest part was drilling holes in my door....ouch.

It is now painted but I've ordered a new piece of glass (objects are closer than they appear) before the final assembly.

mirror1 10.18.JPG

Mirror 2 10.18.JPG

mirror 3 10.18.JPG

mirror 4 10.18.JPG

It was a full days work with a lot of cutting and trimming over and over again so I don't think I want to do that again. On the bright side I do have an extra left side mount that I'm going to see if I can get it made in reverse order...stay tuned because I do have a plan for that!

Steve