Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
MC1of80

Black or white shifter ball?

Hello all. Getting ready to start to restore my 71 402 4speed, classic copper, dark saddle int Monte Carlo this winter. Does anyone know what shifter ball came on the 4speed cars? I know they were plain, no 4speed pattern on them due to the pattern being on the console. Black or white? 

Looks like that's a Hurst shifter with the Hurst aftermarket ball Steve..... they all came with a Muncie Shifter and a non descript black knob from the factory.

Steve

Thank you all for the quick responses. Sredmyer- the shifter ball is left blank on the Montes and Chevelle's because the "4speed pattern" is on the console. 

WOW Learn something every day.  Although mine is not original to this car (it is an SS454) I was told it was original to the donor Monte it came out of.  I have also seen several others that all had knobs and shifters like mine so I just assumed that is how they came.

Steve, the part number for 1970 was 390749, the shifter knob for a Chevelle w/out console had the shift pattern on them

I've seen some with the original Muncie shifter and a chrome ball. 

Dan

A 1970 Chevelle usually came with a chrome ball. Did a 1970 Monte also have the chrome ball? I would think so.

With console- no pattern on ball

Without console- pattern on ball

I believe the knob should be chrome for 1970 and black for 71. 

Dan