‘74 Olds 98 posi....will it fit?

Crank

Last night we were having a few beers after putting new exhaust and jones mufflers on my 70 Monty. My buddy says he knows a guy with a 12 bolt posi with 30 splines out of a 74 Olds 98. Short version. If I don’t buy it today, this guys buddy is parting it out. Will it fit our 70 Monty? And what is it worth? He doesn’t know the ratio but I know how to figure that out. Help QUICK please!!! PS. These mufflers sound awesome!

A 74 Olds did not come with a 12 bolt but may have had a 12 bolt custom made for it .It will not bolt into the 70 Monte without changing the control arm mounts. The 74 has different mounts for the control arms and shock mounts. Hope this helps good luck

1 hour ago, Crank said:

Last night we were having a few beers after putting new exhaust and jones mufflers on my 70 Monty. My buddy says he knows a guy with a 12 bolt posi with 30 splines out of a 74 Olds 98. Short version. If I don’t buy it today, this guys buddy is parting it out. Will it fit our 70 Monty? And what is it worth? He doesn’t know the ratio but I know how to figure that out. Help QUICK please!!! PS. These mufflers sound awesome!

Hi Crank. Short answer... NO!   The shocks are towards the front of the rear, rear itself is longer, driveshaft has a CV joint type set up and you can not find gears or posi for that rear. It's not a 12 bolt like you think. Go on the Oldsmobile forums and you will see what I am talking about.  Quick answer is let it go. Not what you want or need.  Just my .02

• Like 1