Exhaust manifolds

ChrisM

Hey everyone, so now that the winter is here I am trying to get all of my issues sorted out before next year so I can have an even better time driving the car.

The issue right now for me, is I have a 396/402 big block and the headers I put on are apparently hooker, no stamping though. They are about 3-4 inches off the ground, they are a full length, the car is stock ride heigh. When going over bumps in the road when the suspension compresses the headers hit the ground and iam already starting to wear through them.

What iam trying to figure out is 1. Qhy are they so low, 2 is they a better option for full length that would sit closer to the floor? Or should I go with a 3/4  length?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Hi Chris. Usually hooker has a tag/plate riveted to one of the tubes easily to see. I have hooker super comp headers on my 70 SS. They have 3 1/2 inch collectors. My car sits at a stock ride height and I have more than enough clearance. 

The headers you have may not be hookers. If you go with stock exhaust manifolds, I'm sure you know you will loose power/performance. Depending on your engine it may not be as noticable.

From what I have heard and seen on video, 3/4 length headers really are not much better, performance wise than the factory exhaust manifold.  I know these are not perfect answers, but food for thought. Lolol I'm sure you will get all sorts of answers. Only you know what's best for your ride. Good luck! 

Thanks alot for the reply.

It's so hard to figure out, lol. Having to spend a decent amount of money on a new set without seeing how they sit in the car is difficult!

Plus I would never go stock lol, just something that doesnt sit as low as these things! 

My 71 402 4speed has the hooker super comps on it also, for now. Lol I'm going stock with it. I will try to get a pic of it tomorrow. That one is accessible. The 70 SS is asleep for the winter. Lolol

Been many years since I put my Hooker headers on my Monte but I recall them being full length "Competition" headers not "Super Competition".  Doesn't the "Super" version have one of the primary tubes that is two piece on the driver's side? 

If I remember correctly I bought that version for my big block but returned them for the "Competition" version because the fit was too tight.

The super comps that are on 2 of my Monte Carlos fit great. No 2piece/slip fit on mine. The super comps have bigger primary tubes and collectors. A little tight by the proportioning valve though. 

I have the Hooker Super Comps on mine too. There is a name plate mounted to the header to show the make. The Super Comps have  2" primary tubes and a 3.5" collector. The right side drops right in with no issues. The left I had to make a slight dimple in cylinder #3 to clear the steering rod but it was no big deal. I do agree that the proportioning valve ends up to close to the headers and even the instructions say on a Monte you may need to move it. I made a "Z" bracket and moved it from the side of the frame to the top. There was no need to change any of the lines, they all moved pretty easily. 

With that said, I'm running stock front springs and a 26" tall tire up front and haven't had any clearance issues with the ground but I am careful on speed bumps and things of that sort. In the pic you can clearly see the electric cut outs but you get the idea of the headers too.

Steve

leftsidelow1 08.15.JPG

I am gonna have to look at my headers when I get home. I do have a 2" primary tubes and a 3 1/2" collector. The ones I returned had a 2 1/8" primary. 

20170709_145021.thumb.jpg.86975dcd403432ed3d9f6f3a15dc5152.jpg

In the picture it's hard to see, but it does say hooker competition on them. 

I will get a picture when I am there next and what it looks like under the car.

Steve sitting on the ground like that, what do you think roughly the measurement is from the manifolds to the ground? I know mine are sitting 3 inches off the ground, so any dip in the road when the car comes up, it absolutely destroys the tubes.

I just cant figure out why these things are so close to the ground. Iam honestly just thinking about changing them to the hedman 68616 headers! These are old and discoloured but I was hoping to get at least a few seasons before changing! 

I am using just a regular gas shock in the front and rear, car rides perfect accept when it smacks the headers haha.

Thanks for a the replies guys! 

35+ years ago i added headers to my 72 custom 454 do not know what kind they were but could have been hookers ,anyway had to move the proportioning valve and very little clearance from the ground up, removed them and went with original manifolds ,but with the headers ran loud and very strong

In that picture, you can see I removed the old proportioning valve from the side of the frame rail to the top and directly below the master to keep the heat away and add some clearance.

Not really sure how much clearance I have.... As seen in the pic it's not that great...lol. But I have yet to scrape them except once when I was coming over an intersection and was a little to fast trying to make the light and hit the dip hard. I replaced the springs and shocks when I got the car in 2007/2008...maybe your springs are too weak and the car is sitting lower and compress to easily?

Steve

Ok, I just now went out and looked at my headers and they say "Hooker Competition" like your photo and my tubes underneath "appear" to be similar in height to yours and my car looks close in ride height. I never hit my tubes but have scraped my header collector flange when I dropped in way down...maybe 2 1/2". I have since raised it back up and never scraped. 

Are you saying you are scraping the "tubes" and not the "flange"?

Can you easily bounce your car up and down when pushing on the front bumper?

Do you have stock motor mounts? Just trying to see if maybe your motor itself sits lower, someone may have even installed solid motor mounts.

So I took some pictures as I was at the garage, so to answer some questions, the motor is sitting on stock, new motor mounts. The springs in the front and rear are brand new, apparently "heavy duty" and I have a set of regular monroe shock all around, I know they are a complete low grade shock, it was just meant to get me on the road. I will post pictures of everything I took today and of the car sitting on all four wheels! And do not be afraid of telling me anything i did wrong, i need to know! Thanks everyone 

20181125_113913.jpg

20181014_091803.jpg

Sorry and yes I am scraping the tubes before the collector flanges, you can sort of see where on the driver side manifold.

The car is in the air but in the last picture is the frame rail vs the manifold 

Monteman1971 what size is your rim and tire in the front?

Idk what those headers are for but the hooker headers for a Monte Carlo and or Chevelle do not look like that. Those definitely hang lower then the many sets that I have had. I would definitely change them for a set known for a Monte Carlo. Nice Monte Carlo! Lol

Yeah, those tubes look odd. I see how they would hit and they hang way too low to be the correct headers for the car. 

At least if you choose to replace them it is not like they are new...quite a bit of surface rust on them.

Haha thanks MC1of80. Ok well sounds like I have my answer, these do not fit a monte carlo properly! And yea trust me they are ugly 502ci. Definatly wasnt going to keep them for ever, but I was hoping for longer than this lol.

So now that being said, I should be able to stick with a set of long tube headers FOR a monte carlo, and they should sit much closer to the floor, am I correct with that? 

What would you say would be a decent set to go with? Let's hear your opinions! 

Thanks again everyone for the photos and wisdom! 

My vote is for the same brand but for your Monte Carlo. Hooker super comp. Or if your engine doesn't need that big of a tube, just the comp headers. I have had various results with hedman. Usually the back tube on the right side hits the a/c box.  Both sets of my super comps basically fell right in with no mods- ie dents. Lol that's my .02. Lol