Exhaust manifolds

ChrisM

Rob Peter's, they are a low profile 40 in the front and 45 is the rear, they are on 18 inch wheels.

Mc1of80, sounds like a good plan to me, I have deleted the a/c anyways, maybe in the future a vintage air system? Who knows lol. But I think I will order a new set made for the monte carlo! 

Thanks again 

Those are some funky headers down there.....lol.  Mine are the standard all four pipes coming down together.

My front rims are 17x8' with a 4.5" backspacing. My front tires are 26" tall which actually drops the front just a bit with the back tires being 27.2" tall. Gives me a slight "rake".

Steve

Chris, you may have already made a decision but, if not, since fitment and ground clearance are top priorities, I suggest you also consider full-length headers with 1 3/4" primaries and three inch collectors like the Doug's Headers D313.    Depending on how you drive your Monte, I doubt you will ever need or benefit from full-length headers with 2" primaries and 3 1/2" collectors .  In fact, the smaller headers will almost certainly produce more torque in that size engine and the smaller tubes also make plug changing easier, offer more clearance  (and less heat) around the starter and oil filter and provide more ground clearance.

I don't know if you were on the forums when Crazy Davey was active here (he has since passed) but he was a very respected drag racer of BBCs and strongly recommended the D313 headers for street driven Montes.  He even ran them on his wife's '72 "W code" 454 with a Straub cam.  They are a bit pricey but the only reason I did not go with them on my modified 402 was they don't fit a manual transmission Monte (the #7 tube sweeps back against the clutch bell crank). 

I replaced a pair of tuned (equal length 2" primaries) ill-fitting, full-length headers of unknown origin with a pair of Patriot H8012 ceramic coated mid length headers because they work with manual transmissions.  I am super pleased with them because the 1 3/4" primaries allow me to change plugs easily and the increased clearance has completely eliminated the former "heat soak" problem with my factory starter.  Also, I have plenty of clearance to replace the oil filter which used to require a pry bar and several Houdini moves.  The only issue I had installing those headers was that I couldn't find a head pipe with a tight 45 degree elbow to connect the collectors to the mufflers.  I ended up fabricating my own but a muffler shop with a mandrel bender can also make them.  I also replaced the 2" factory exhaust system with a very basic 2 1/2" system from Summit.  I think I now have a more attractive and effective over-all exhaust system, as well as, solving a couple of other problems in the process. 

Bigger is not always better ...  Good luck.

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5548.JPG

IMG_5536.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

• Like 1

The 3/4 headers are nice but I've installed 2 different sets on 2 Monte's and both had the same issue as Dennis's. I used the Patriots on mine and I forget the name brand on Dan's but the left side was always an issue with the down pipe and the angle. In order to make a nice smooth transition the pipe had to come down real low to make a decent curve. Now I see what Dennis did and that's fine with the sharp angle and welded back together but in my opinion that has to take away performance. 

Yes my hooker headers seem a bit low but I have yet to have any issues except for the once but that was my own fault.

My 2 cents

Steve

Thanks for the wheel info Steve, and yea the pipes are crazy down there lol. 

MCfan, thank you for all the info, and the pictures! Love the setup! 

I did end up going with the pair I stated in the last post, I got the set from my machine shop who did all my engine work, he told me to try them out, see how I like them, if they aren't a good fit for me, he'd take them back and get me a 1 3/4 primary set, so I guess I'll see how it all fits in the spring! The torque loss iam not crazy worried about, this solution was the "in my budget" solution, my wife an I just had our first baby, her being off on maternity leave, I cant believe i was even allowed to make a purchase right now lol.

Thank you for all the info, I'll post some pictures when I get them! Thanks again guys 

• Like 1