adding OEM A/C to non A/C

sendo

• 4 weeks later...

134a or r12?

dont know if I should buy orginal parts like the condensor stock 170.00 for r12 or parallel for 134a  300.00 after tax and shipping. what else have to be changed hoses, evaporator? r12 is 69.00 to 100.00 bucks on ebay

I changed my 72 to 134a because the r12 is getting hard to find and expensive. I had the hoses rebuilt and new dryer and a new compressor.  I also had the system flushed and a since the evaporator had set open for i do not know how long I purchased a new one. The compressor I used was called a S6, it is 40% lighter than the A6 and it pistons are Teflon coated. Rob Peters who posts quite a lot on here is having his A6 and dryer rebuilt to handle the 134a freon. There is a thread on here somewhere that he tells about doing that.

8 hours ago, Leghome said:

I changed my 72 to 134a because the r12 is getting hard to find and expensive. I had the hoses rebuilt and new dryer and a new compressor.  I also had the system flushed and a since the evaporator had set open for i do not know how long I purchased a new one. The compressor I used was called a S6, it is 40% lighter than the A6 and it pistons are Teflon coated. Rob Peters who posts quite a lot on here is having his A6 and dryer rebuilt to handle the 134a freon. There is a thread on here somewhere that he tells about doing that.

did you change your condenser to parallel?

I am not sure what parallel refers to so probably did not. ordered new condenser from The Parts Place and received it two days before the Eastern Meet in Somerset KY. Got the car back at 6pm the day before departure and had no problems with the AC

Rolando,

I am in the process of restoring my original AC.  "Original Air Products" sells a lot of what you need and were very helpful to me.  I am switching to R134 and they told me everything that would be required to be changed.  The POA valve was something that needed to be changed but the evaporator and condenser were not.  

If you are not concerned with it looks original then they can sell you a complete aftermarket system.

rob

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure of the exact sizes but I got mine from Ground Up, aka ss396.com They have bolt kits for alot of things like that. I'm sure other vendors do also but I have been using them with no problems for many years. 

• Like 1

That is listed as a Chevelle.  I am not sure if it is the same as the Monte BUT Old Air Products has it for a Monte at about $40 less.  Check them out on their prices.... very reasonable  https://www.oldairproducts.com/products?filtercache=f1583683-1329-45b1-8c90-42cf089928e9

rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sendo said:

is that close to the original ?

Rosendo,

Yes, what Old Air Products is selling is very close to original.  I recently received that same line along with an expansion valve, drier, POA valve and line from the expansion valve to the drier.  They also have rebuilt my compressor and I recently received it back from them.  I have not reassembled everything yet and more than likely it will be almost 2 months before I get a chance to because I have surgery scheduled on my left hand next Tuesday.  Even the Drier I bought from them is a duplicate of my original drier.  

Old Air Products are very good to work with over the phone and were very helpful in telling me how to flush my condenser and evaporator coils.  The POA valve I ordered from them is not an exact duplicate of the original because I am converting to R134.  Their products are warranted for one year.  Let me know if you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer.

rob

• Like 1