Small Block Header recommendations

72Ragtop

I'm looking to replace my Small-block $25 swap-meet aftermarket headers on my 72 Monte Ragtop.  I will also be re-doing the rest of the exhaust system which I'm not happy with....hangs too low, too close to the starter and is too loud at cruising (50-80MPH) speed. The current headers are not "Shortys" or "Long ones"....something in between. Not a drag car...engine is a 350, AT w/ Edelbrock 600 & Intake. When the car was finished over a decade ago, funding was a concern and I went "Low ball" on price and to a degree, installation quality. I've located the best "Exhaust System Artist" in the area, and am getting ready to pull the trigger.   So.....whattaya recommend for headers, and why?  Thanx, Dave

Wow, no one has a small block with headers? Lolol. I would suggest plain ol' headman full length headers. Used them on all my small block Monte Carlos that I have had. No fitment issues. Hooked up to a 2 1/2 flowmaster pipe kit with dynomax mufflers and factory style exhaust tips. Nice not crazy combo. 

I also have Hookers on my 72 and my only problem is with spark plug number 6. I have to use an end wrench to get that plug out and it works better from underneath. Also that is the hardest plug wire to get on.

i too have hedmann with 2.5 flowmasters- nice combo   and sound for a mild 350...   can get the stock number later ......yes, one plug comes out with a box wrench -couldn't remember ,but yes its good 'ole  #6-but really  no problem at all !!    They are the coated headers and have been in for 13 years and are in perfect shape.

• 3 years later...
On 12/9/2018 at 7:23 PM, Blake350 said:

i too have hedmann with 2.5 flowmasters- nice combo   and sound for a mild 350...   can get the stock number later ......yes, one plug comes out with a box wrench -couldn't remember ,but yes its good 'ole  #6-but really  no problem at all !!    They are the coated headers and have been in for 13 years and are in perfect shape.

Hi Blake, wondering if you still have the stock number for this? I'm looking for headers for a 350 with air-con and a column shift auto. Would your Hedman work well with this setup? Swapping to dual exhaust by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another vote for the Hedmans here.  Good fit, no "performance denting" required to install. 

I have the silver ceramic but I think black ceramic is also available if you want them less visible

Scott