Big Block full length Header - Floorboard clearance ?

snomobeelr

I have Patriot Headers  1  7/8 that fit fine other than close to proportioning valve and collectors do seem to point downward. My exhaust has always seemed low. I do  I have 3 inch exhaust . You  can seethe exhaust under car from distance , I attached a picture.  I  made some changes on car and  have to remove the X-Pipe and re-do exhaust from Collector to front of  Muffler.  The top of the Collector flange is  3 /14 on driver side and  3 7/8 on passenger side from floor.  Anyone else ever measured to see how far there collector is from from floorboard?   I was wondering if the Doug's Headers would be closer to floorboard.  

71 Monte -  wheel side view.jpg

Hi Alan,  I have Doug's Full Length Headers on my 72.  I have the 60 series BF Goodrich Tires currently, replaced the 350 CI w/ a 402 CI BB without changing to BB Front Springs.  Car squats more in the front now and my Headers sit somewhat lower than I like.  I had scrapped Flange bottom a couple of times when I have a passenger in the car but speed bumps and the like have not caused me any problems to date driving alone.  Had I replaced the front springs, pretty sure I would have no issues and also with a higher profile tire would give me at minimum another inch clearance from the ground.  I can measure from the floor to the bottom of Header flange if you like tomorrow as the car is in the garage off site.  Not sure I can measure from header pipe pipe to floorboard but will try.  Not a lot of room under there...................

Just let me know..............

Doug

Doug , I have only had it scrape on me once. I am trying to find out if other headers are closer to the floorboard. My headers also seem to pitch down towards the ground.  I am trying to get the exhaust up towards the floorboards a little more.   Thanks for the offer but if its a pain to measure from header to floorboard don't worry about it.  

Alan

The mounts are the same. Looks to be the Patriot headers hang lower than others. Also by looking at the pic of your car you can possibly get the rest of the exhaust system itself higher, closer to the body by turning the intermediate pipes so the mufflers and pipes get closer to the body. Sometimes this is a to do.

I have hooker super comp headers, 3 1/2" Pipes from them to an x pipe then 3" to the mufflers and 3" tailpipes with pleanty of ground clearance on my 70 SS.

It's away for the winter. I will try to get some pics..

Ya I did not rally it before but the patriots seem to be low..  The Patriot collector is 3.5 and I was thinking  since the Doug's are 3 inches ,that itself would bring it up towards the floorboards some.  Either way from the collector to the front of the muffler has to be reconfigured. I added a Gear Vendor and can't use an X-Pipe any longer. I am just not sure it is with the price of new headers to bring the headers themselves closer but the Patriots I have seem pretty low.  When placing a level from bottom of collectors on both sides they ar 1 3/8 lower than my trans pan. I took some pictures and attached.

Thanks Guys

Header 1.jpg

Header 2.jpg

Header 3.jpg

Header 4.jpg

I will try and get some pics for comparison, but I know for sure that the headers on my car are closer to the floor and do not hang down as much as yours by the cross member. 

So I purchased a set of Dougs headers from Summit Racing I made sure i could rerun them if there were any issues which I can.  The  Original Dougs 313 headers for the Big Block Chevy do not fit my  1971 Monte Carlo .  I attempted to install the passenger side and I believe it was tube #2 is hitting the frame Horn that comes out for the Control arm.  My old Headers - Headman that are from over 20 years ago fit. My current Header Patriot Exhaust H8024-1 fit.  My issue was I thought the Patriot Exhaust H8024-1 Collector Flange was hanging to low from the floorboard. 

Long story short I was able to place 1/4 inch shim Under my transmission mount .......... It raised the header flange 1/2 inch closer to floorboards.  I  had added a G/V and a new  G-Force Cross member.  I had placed a jack under transmission and happened to be watching it at the correct angle I noticed the new  G-Force Cross member actually has some give/Sag , when putting the weight of the transmission on it.  

Since I had both headers available I took pictures of both headers to compare if anyone is interested.  The older rust headers in some of the pictures are my 25 year old original hedman headers.

Patriot Full-Length Headers : H8024-1
Doug's Headers D313

Header diffrence  1.jpg

Header diffrence  2.jpg

Header Diffrance 3.jpg

Header Diffrance 4.jpg

Header Diffrance 5.jpg

Header Diffrance 6.jpg

Header Diffrance 7.jpg

Header Diffrance 8.jpg

Header Diffrance 9.jpg

I was shocked since so many people have seemed to use the Doug's and they fit.. If you look at the picture of the Patriot next to the Dougs ... The Patriot #1 tube  swings down and left. The Dougs #1 and # 2 swing down and left and follow each other ontop one another.  We could not get the dougs flange on the head so come up and seal. Only other thing is I have Brodix Race Rite oval port heads. But believe the mounting is close to stock. 

Header Diffrance 10.jpg

Header Diffrance 4.jpg

If you look at the Patriot and the Dougs yous see the Patriot is one tube in the front and the Dougs is two tubes in the front.  I reinstalled the Patriot Passenger side and you can see "Lower Control Arm" Mounting ear sticks out.  This is where the dougs #2 pipe wqas hitting. 

Passenger side 1.jpg

Passenger side 2.jpg

Passenger side 3.jpg

Passenger side 4.jpg

Haven't been able to get to my 70. Here are a few pics of my 71 402 4speed. Hooker super comp headers and flowmaster 2.5 exhaust system. Going back to stock during restoration. 

IMG_20181120_123231.jpg

IMG_20181120_123254.jpg

IMG_20181120_123311.jpg

IMG_20181120_123324.jpg

IMG_20181120_123330.jpg