amp gauge

Windjamer14

You will have to remove the cluster to replace the gauge.  That will mean you need to loosen the dash and pull it forward in order to unplug the wiring harness and speedo cable and get the cluster out.

Can be somewhat intimidating if you have never done it before.  Be careful, 50 year old plastic breaks easily.

Good luck!!
Mike

Before removing anything, be sure to remove the negative battery terminal.  If you put threaded rods in the upper dash housing mounting holes where the bolts are now it will be easy to slide the dash toward you. You need one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side about 12 inches long will work. You will still have to remove the other five bolts that hold the dash housing frame to the car. Be sure to support the center of the dash housing so that you do not crack it.

• Like 1

May help some:

1-If you have a column shift, THIS MUST BE REMOVED or you will break it! (If you ever remove the dash)

2- Picture of the back side with gauge package (1971)

3- I believe this is the AMP gauge and the nut was very tight, I used a small locking pliers, to keep the gauge from breaking.

IMG_0374.thumb.JPG.f457264be32473f753a4f9c505839cdf.JPGIMG_0321.thumb.JPG.3de0c138d66dce6706d4e758fd643714.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

Edited by stangeba
added text

If you are not having a charging problem, I would leave it alone also.

Some interesting reading about the charging system in our First Gen Monte Carlo's.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/chevymain1.shtml

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/chevymain2.shtml

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/chevymain3.shtml

and this all about AMP gauges:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

• Like 1

I just finished removing my cluster and repaired my clock, replaced all the dash bulbs and polished a scratch out of the dash lens. It was a bit nerve racking, I referenced Dennis's step by step instructions which were very helpful. It you decide to replace the gauge just take your time...Merry Christmas

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2018 at 6:01 AM, 1970mcss said:

I just finished removing my cluster and repaired my clock, replaced all the dash bulbs and polished a scratch out of the dash lens. It was a bit nerve racking, I referenced Dennis's step by step instructions which were very helpful. It you decide to replace the gauge just take your time...Merry Christmas

can you tell me where to find Dennis's step by step instructions

thanks Sendo

8 hours ago, sendo said:

can you tell me where to find Dennis's step by step instructions

thanks Sendo

Hi, Sendo,

I think Paul is referring to one or both of the following project photo journals on Photobucket:

Full Gauge Cluster Upgrade

Repairing A Dash Clock

Just click on the first photo in the slide set and scroll it up enough to read the caption where all of the instruction text is for each slide.  From the first slide you should be able to click on the arrow on the right hand side to advance to the next slide.

It's been awhile since I did these projects on my '70 but let me know if you have any questions.  You can post them, send me a Private Message or even an email at dbengtson4@comcast.net.  I also have some instructions on removing the dash if you need them.  Just send me your email address and I will send you the text file. Good luck.

• Like 1