secondary vin number location?

Why do they want a secondary VIN? The one I know of is under the a/c box or heater box if not an a/c car. That requires the removal of said box. Idk if there is an easier VIN to get to. Sorry. ☹️

That's ridiculous to require a second VIN.

The body tag on the cowl does not have the VIN but it does have the model (13857, same as first 5 numbers in VIN), the year (70, same as 6th character in VIN "0"), and assembly plant (same as 7th digit in VIN) which makes up part of the VIN. Note sure if that is enough as they may want to verify the last 6 digits of the VIN but those are not on the body tag. If it is a numbers match engine with those last 6 digits that may help. Between the body tag agreeing with the first 7 digits of the VIN and the block having the last 6 of the VIN, this could be enough evidence.

1 hour ago, 1970mcss said:

When I worked a dealership the state police came in to look at stolen cars. I thought they looked at a stamping on the rear frame rail. Maybe on the right side. Good luck...

I remember a number of years ago someone here posted that there may be one on the frame near one of the muffler clamps but I have never seen one back there.

rob

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know about Monte Carlo, but other GM..if there is a stamp on the frame rail, which I would think there is, it would be on the top of the frame rail and on the drivers side ,under the body, and/or between the body and frame as not to get tampered with. You will need a small mirror.  Also I would think it to be under the drivers seat on the frame rail..  Also it will be stamped close to the edge of the up and down side  part of the frame, about 1/4 of inch or closer to the up and down side part of the frame,  which I guess a C channel frame maybe on top closer to the outside of side of car.  It would be stamped close to the side part as this would be the stiffed or strongest part to resist the pounding of the punch in order to indent the numbers,  it will most likey not be in the middle of the top of the frame from side to side as it would be to springing to the punch.  feeling with fingers on top of frame and under body from front to back of car, close to side you can feel a small dent about 1 1/2 inch long which with mirror may show numbers in a row.  take you time and you can feel the indent right at the edge.  also you will need a mirror to see it.  numbers are about 1/4 high.

I have done this and found it,  the 1 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch high,, dent is the give away on top of the frame, when you are feeling for it..

I have also heard of numbers being in body under trim on bottom of rear deck glass,  bad thing is could be coverd by sealer to glass.  also on rear frame rail, also on top of rear axle frame hump. Most likely access to number when wheel is off???? again I would guess drivers side on top and on the close to the edge and on the top.

I would not want to be you right now good luck

if you find we will know because we all will hear the YAW HOO

stano

• Like 1

I just thought of this. I had help from our local theft recovery officer,  talk to the police and get a hold of an officer in theft recovery for your state.  they know all the places the number can be just about on all cars. and yes they will not tell all.. He may give you one place to look, and then he will wait a see if that works for you.... but our officer in the theft department for the state, help us and was very good about it.

Helps if you don't have a record of stealing cars in you state??????

thank you stano

• Like 1

I've seen the vin in two other places besides the one in the front window. One is under the A/C or  non-AC heater box and the other was on the left side rear frame under the trunk between the last two body bolts. For the one on the frame you are going to need a mirror to see it.

My 2 cents,

Steve

• 1 month later...