Plug wires and routing

7tonemonte

I’m curiosa to what everyone is using for routing the wires over their headers. Also recommended wire sets for my small block? I’m looking to corral the wires and make it neat so if anyone has pics and tell me what kit they used I’d love to see it. I’ve purchased a few over the years and not really been happy with any of them. 

Do I need to make my own wires to make it neat or are off the shelf ones working for anyone?  

Thanks for any info

Tony

The best looking setup for plug wires is make your own. I have used several over the counter sets and I have never been happy with any of them totally. I have run under the header wires with them getting burnt/melted. On top of headers look the best to me with those brackets that are held on with the valve cover bolts.

IMG_0985.JPG

When I converted to HEI several years ago, I obviously needed new wires but before I went shopping I came across a quality pre-owned set at a local swap meet.  They were already mounted in a pair of adjustable chrome wire looms/racks that I really like.  I mounted them horizontally so the wires just drop down progressively to the plugs but I have seen these mounted vertically, also.  Each side attaches with two of the valve cover bolts.  I know it is hard to see much except the wires in the attached photos but that's apparently all I have to share. 

Unfortunately, I don't know the brand name of the wires (any will obviously work) or the chrome looms but they must be widely available based on the number I have seen.  Actually, they look similar to the Spectre Slider Style Wire Dividers offered by JEGS.  They also have a nice set of Proform Chrome Linear Wire Looms for small block Chevys although they are over twice the price. I previously had just a bunch of chrome-plated plastic clips holding the plug wires together in random places but I prefer the more orderly look of the looms I now have.

IMG_5515.JPG

IMG_5517.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG

• Like 1