Tip over jig

gronlit

I decided go with a wooden tip over jig instead of buying a rotisserie after seeing some pictures of other people's online.  5 2x6s, half a sheet of plywood, and some fasteners. For less than $100 it was pretty easy to build and I was easily able to tip over the shell by myself.

20181223_122830.jpg

20181223_122855.jpg

20181223_122830.jpg

20181223_125219.jpg

20181223_122903.jpg

20181223_122914.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are the main dimensions...if anyone else makes one be sure to post some pictures.  After I had everything cut and fastened together and it looked like it would work I took it all apart and then rebuilt it using liquid nails as well as the screws and bolts so some extra strength

The bolts/nuts going into the torquebox body mounts were tough to fasten....I can't access the nut I used in the torquebox box and had to rely on friction to keep the nut from spinning while tightening.  If I were todo it again i'd find a better way.

I am considering trying to sell it once im done, I think someone would buy it and save the couple nights of fab work

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.thumb.JPG.4d954c2974c373ca5cac3f1b841f41a4.JPG

This is the one I built several years back.  I made it so I could bolt casters onto the framework, or the rocker rails. It made the dirtiest part of the restoration much easier, and I had a very handy body cart with the rails removed.

The wooden design has to be cheaper to build.

Dan

20140703_130750.jpg

20140719_175931.jpg

• 2 months later...

I thought about making a metal one, I  however lack those metalworking skills!  Yours turned out well Dan.

I finished the underside of the body this weekend.  I used por15 for the first time...I read that you can't wash the stuff off if it gets on your skin so I wore long sleeves, pants, and gloves.  Well I can confirm that it will stain skin through denim...Going on a week and a half and I still don't have it all off...

Tim

20190414_104837.jpg

20190414_104822.jpg

• Like 1

Not too bad actually.  I've flipped it back and forth a couple times and am able to do it on my own.

I think I measured the car to be roughly 6ft wide and the tip radius is 2ft so the center of gravity is about 1 foot from the fulcrum when the car is down and when I lift from the panel I'm about 4 ft from the fulcrum so I get a 4to1 mechanical advantage.  Not sure how much the shell weighs, but let's say it is 600lbs then it takes 150lb lifting to get it started and it gets easier as its tipped.  Lifting with your legs at the start and it's not bad.  When bringing it down I just make sure I keep it slow.

• Like 1