71 dash knobs difference

714024SPEED

Just wondering why some 1971 Monte Carlo have the dash knobs that are plain and some have the picture on them(headlights,radio,cig lighter etc). Was there an option you ordered then you got the picture knobs? thanks

That's interesting. I too would like to know. I have seen 71 small block cars with both.

I have a 71 402 4speed and a 71 402 auto which both have the pics on the knobs. Obviously not SS cars. 

I have a complete dash assy from a 71 small block Monte that has the pics. My brothers daily driver, one owner 71 Monte does not have the pics on the knobs. 

This seems to be a 71 Monte Carlo "thing". As far as I have seen all 72 Monte Carlos have the pics on the dash knobs. 

Has anyone else noticed this with the 71 Monte's? What does yours have? 🤔

Could it be that the 71 Knobs were depleted and used 72 Knobs in their place?  Might be able to find supporting evidence that was probably the case dependent on the year(s) where discrepancy is found.  That's best guess anyhew.......................:)

Doug

Good thought. I would go with that only the 71 402 auto build date is 10/70, the 71 402 4speed is 3 or 4/71 and the 71 daily small block is 6/71. Almost sure all were built at the Baltimore plant so different plants may not be it either. 🤔

I had thought the ones with symbols were in the SS only and all others were plain. Seems that based on the responses above some non-SS cars also had knobs with the symbols. Both 71s Ive owned were SS cars with the sumbols.

71 NON SS built in Canada May of 1971, standard black knobs. My friend got a 71 SS after me and it did have them.

Bruce

The '71 sales brochure shows the international symbols were part of the SS454 package, but we know they used them in some non-SS cars, too.

Dan

20190107_192325.jpg

Ok, understand the SS cars have the pic knobs, I can even understand the 402 cars also having them. Why some small block cars also? This question may never have an answer. Lolol