Side Air vent deflector orientation

Katman

I'm replacing the deflectors in my side air vents and would like to confirm the correct orientation for those deflectors (i.e. which side is the top?).  I'll try to add a picture so you know what I am talking about.  there are three slats and one of them has the knurled vertical thing on the bottom of the slat.  Is that one the top slat or the bottom slat?  I shouldn't of taken both apart at the same time - rats.  It can go in either way.  I took a picture before removing the dash but it is not clear in this shot.

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

Hey Katman,

I looked at all my Monte's in the fleet (5) and they all have the "knurled verticle thingy" at the top of the vents. Bother sides. Hope this helps. 

I was pretty sure that they were on top but would have hated to find out later they are upside down which I've done before on other projects.  Thanks!  Tony, I wonder if yours are upside down?  Didn't see your comment initially.  It's easy to happen as they fit either way.

52 minutes ago, RealRed70 said:

Just a little more reassurance.   All my dashes have them like this. If they are on the bottom slat they are wrong. This dash still needs the wood grain panel put back on.

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

My car is the same as Dan's

Is it possible that everyone is saying the same thing that the vertical tab is on the bottom of the top slat?

There seems to be at least two types of these air vents.  My  factory AC '70 SS has a slat housing with a flow control lever built in while my non-AC '70 has a slat housing with only a blank panel and  no flow control lever (see photos).  Was the flow control lever only available with factory AC?

Rather than replacing the lap air deflectors on my AC car, I removed the deflector, cleaned and stripped it and sprayed it with bumper chrome paint.  It doesn't shine quite like a new chromed-plastic part, but it sure looks better than the badly deteriorated original vent.

P9220990.JPG

P5080009.JPG

Dash Project 074.JPG

Dash Project 072.JPG

The housing for the non A/C vent is completely different than the A/C version.  Not sure if the vertical thing is on the slat of the non-A/C vent.  Thanks for all of the replies.

They are back in the housings.  Looking a lot nicer.  Glue drying then put them back in the dash.  got the replacement set from OPGI (two inner, two side).  Don't get them from the Parts Place if you want A/C setup.  All they sell is vents with non-A/C housing.  Product write-up doesn't mention which application they are for.  Keep the felt washers though.  The washers that come with the replacements are way too small.

IMG_0523.JPG

That’s what I meant,  they were on the bottom of the top slat.  LOL 

i was wondering why people were saying mine were upside down as they looked just like the pictures!  Now that I re read the original post from Mark it’s clearer what was asked.  

On 1/15/2019 at 8:50 PM, 7tonemonte said:

That’s what I meant,  they were on the bottom of the top slat.  LOL 

i was wondering why people were saying mine were upside down as they looked just like the pictures!  Now that I re read the original post from Mark it’s clearer what was asked.  

Glad to hear they are not upside down!

8 hours ago, Jim Boczar said:

One other thing to note is, I believe that 1970 slats were flat with no grain as seen in the second picture posted by Dennis above. Another 1970 item only.

Hey Jim.  I did not know that.  Thanks for sharing that tidbit.  Next time I see your car, I'll make sure to take a closer look.

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:40 PM, Katman said:

got the replacement set from OPGI (two inner, two side).  Don't get them from the Parts Place if you want A/C setup.  All they sell is vents with non-A/C housing.  Product write-up doesn't mention which application they are for.  Keep the felt washers though.  ..

Does anyone sell the side vent assemblies for an A/C car? My 72 has a busted passenger side housing, plus the vents need replaced anyways. I figured I would just get the assemblies, but noticed on the OPGI site they mentioned non-AC. Saw them at the Parts Place as you mentioned and figured they're the same as OPGI's.

From the pictures they look similar but what are the differences?

I need these, but my car has A/C. OPG specifically says 'for non-AC cars'. Just wondering why they are saying non-AC, and what the actual differences may be. If it's just the lack of the deflector side lever as I've seen on some cars, no big deal, mine don't have them anyways. If it's going to be a square peg in a round hole though, that's another story then.

Worst case, I can repair the housing (broken mounting tabs), but the vents need replaced anyways.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/product/1972/dash-side-outer-vent-deflector-assemblies-pr/55376

https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/CH26361/

AC vents.jpg

You also need the housings? The difference is the a/c housings have a lever and flap/door to regulate ot close off the air coming out of the vents themselves where is the non a/c vents like you have pictured do not. If only changing the vents themselves not the housings also I believe it does not make a difference. The vents, not the housings are the same. 

Thanks Thomas,

Yeah, my passenger side has all the ears broken. The louvers are crappy and so is the chrome on the vents as well. Figured it would be easier to just replace everything. On my 72, there are NO levers or flap doors at all. The car is an original AC car, and my old 72 Custom was an AC car as well with no levers or flappers. Maybe in 72 they didn't have them? Also one of the pictures shows a flat surface where the tubes from the plenum attach, but that may just be a generic photo. Both of mine definitely have a round inlet for the tube to connect to on the backside of the assembly.

Joe's car is a 1972. This is how it goes. Most 1971 A/C equipped cars do not have the shut off levers that 1970 cars have. No 1972 A/C equipped cars have the shut off levers. All 1970- 72 cars equipped with A/C have longer vent housings than non A/C cars for 1970-72. The ducting that connects to them is different for A/C to non A/C cars. A/C cars need A/C vent housings, non A/C cars need non A/C vent housings. My first picture is the non A/C vents, my second picture is the A/C vents for a 1970. The 72 version of the A/C vents are just as long as these shown in picture two, but do not have the shut off levers. Again, most 71's do not have the levers.

Private Message me if you would like to purchase a 1972 A/C vent housing. I also have some non A/C vent housings for sale.

IM004399.JPG

IM005071.JPG

• Like 2

PM'd.

Thank you both!

Edit: After talking with Dan, there is a definite difference between the 2 types. It appears that the inlet hole on the non-AC vent is almost a 1/2" larger, and the overall length is shorter as well. Square peg in a round hole for my purposes. He had a passenger replacement vent in stock and is sending it out. Couldn't be happier!