fuel pump outlet size?

7tonemonte

I bought a fuel line from Edelbrock, part # 81233   It says it is designed to attach to a 3/8 NPT outlet on a fuel pump. I have a stock replacement on my small block, it is not a 3/8NPT, which I kind of knew. Trying to find an adapter but I have no idea the size on it. I brought the old fitting with me around and I can get 3/8 flared plumbing parts to screw into it,  so what gives? The adapter that came with the new part does not thread in. Im trying to avoid putting a flared fitting and clamp on it.  I also dont want to buy a new fuel pump, the higher flow ones have that 3/8 NPT.

I was just hoping to get an adapter from the fuel pump to a -6AN male

Edelbrock 81233 link

55 minutes ago, 714024SPEED said:

If you want to use an AN fitting you would need one that has 3/8 NPT to -6.just an fyi if your car is a small block car it has a 5 /16 metal fuel line so the -6 hose might not fit tight over the metal line.good luck

The line I got from Edelbrock has a 3/8 NPT to -6AN fitting.  The NPT will not thread into the fuel pump.  

Tony, that is a pipe thread, NOT a flare thread.  In reality it is a tapered "pipe" thread.

Regular pipe threads and Flare threads are different.  

rob

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 6:59 PM, DragCat said:

Sorry i'm late to the party , I think you need a 5/8 inverted flare connection for the fuel pump if its a SB with original style fuel pump. 

That is correct.  5/8-18 inverted flare ended up being the one.  I spoke with Bill at https://www.gofastfittings.com and he thought that was it, I did get a thread pitch gauge at Fastenal and that’s what it turned out needing. Anyone looking for AN fittings and plumbing, check that guy out.  Super helpful, quality stuff, best prices I’d seen also.