Stock Exhaust Sysem for SS454

4speed

Hello. What manufacturer do you recommend for an Exhaust System for  1970 SS 454 Monte Carlo with no headers and stock exhaust manifolds. It seems as though the only manufacturer is  Pypes. I do not think I will use an X pipe. Is an X pipe a good Idea ? The engine is close to stock .Just looking for a complete regular 2.5 inch Exhaust with 2 pipes. Is Pypes a good product? Thank you for your help! Jerry

Hey 4speed.

I personally am going to go with the exhaust system from Ground Up aka ss396.com.  The system they have is complete from the exhaust manifold to the tips, gaskets, studs, hangers and tips a truly one stop deal. It's listed for a Chevelle but bolts right up to our cars.  And it doesn't break the bank. 

2 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Hey 4speed.

I personally am going to go with the exhaust system from Ground Up aka ss396.com.  The system they have is complete from the exhaust manifold to the tips, gaskets, studs, hangers and tips a truly one stop deal. It's listed for a Chevelle but bolts right up to our cars.  And it doesn't break the bank. 

You may want to double check for the wheel base, for some reason I'm thinking the monte is the same as the 4 door chevelle. I could be wrong though.

You're welcome. Glad I could help. If you go with the system from Ground up, let me know how it fits. I won't be needing it till late spring/early summer..... Hopefully. Lol

I have used Gardner on 4 different Monte restorations and the fit is perfect. Might be a little more expensive, but you know what your going to get. A perfect factory reproduction with zero hassles

• Like 1

You're welcome willie. That's what we are here, to help each other when possible. Some FYI.... Alot of Chevelle stuff interchanges with our Monte Carlos even though it doesn't specify it does. Aka phantom fit. 

I am using Gardner Exhaust as well. The fit and finish is second to none. Eric Gardner is doing a great job of carrying on his Dad's Business.  It is more money than the others but you get what you pay for.

Joe

20180821_190358.jpg

20180317_134405.jpg

20180903_142924.jpg

Joe, you are doing an amazing job on your car.  I love the detail you are putting into the job.  I hope it will be ready for next year's 2020 Eastern Meet in Carlisle for the 50th Anniversary of Monte Carlo.

rob

I have a Pypes stainless steel exhaust system on my Monte SS. Depending on what you are looking to do as far as stock, (factory correct) I would go with a Gardner exhaust system. They make an excellent product. I wanted a stainless steel exhaust system with free flowing turbo style mufflers and went with Pypes. They make the same system in aluminized steel too. It’s on my Monte now 10 years now, looks like new and sounds great. I get a lot of compliments on it. I do not have a lift and didn’t want to install it on my back so I had a local muffler shop install it. It fit very well with no issues. I went with straight dual exhaust, no H or X pipe also. Any questions, please PM me.