Valve Seals

mikeringland

I have a stock '72 350 4bbl in my Monte and am looking to replace the valve seals. I was told by a friend to go with the "umbrella" type, rather than the OEM type. I looked at Autozone and they have 10 different brands and styles. The manager at Autozone didn't know which to go with. Does anyone have a brand or model # that they could recommend? This is a stock motor with the only upgrade being a stock HEI ignition system from points. Thanks,

Mike

I replaced a few of my valve seals before I had the engine rebuilt and it was recommended by a local engine builder to use both. When he rebuilds an engine he does that to all of his rebuilds.  I took the end of a spark plug and had it braised to a quick disconnect for an air hose an changed them without removing the heads. I did do a compression check to make sure the rings were good enough to hold the air pressure that I cannot remember how much I had the regulator set at.