Recent Dyno

usaflineman

All,

1st post.  Glad to be here.  Question on a recent dyno.  Not sure how good you can see it.  The best run was 350HP and 370 Torque.  

Does this look right?  Why doesn't it read until 4300 rpm then drop off at 4900 rpm?  Basically a 600 rpm dyno.  

I did speak to the shop.  They said since my torque converter was a high stall and didn't lock?  Anyone else seen something like this on a dynojet?

This was my first shop dyno experience ever.  Did I end up throwing $120 in the fireplace?  

I fully believe the engine has more than showing. 

Thanks

image.png.5c6d4beadf4072b08508bc10086903b8.png

Hi.

From the looks of it, what I can see of your pic, there is more in it. The graph looks more like an earthquake scale. It's all over the place. Should be more smooth of a reading.

Unless the at the tight scale it's on. Looks like maybe an ignition issue possibly by the bouncing around. What was the fuel pressure? A/f ratio? 

What is the engine combo? Trans and stall? What make converter? 

Welcome aboard the boards Boards,    we hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member of the club

rob

3 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Hi.

From the looks of it, what I can see of your pic, there is more in it. The graph looks more like an earthquake scale. It's all over the place. Should be more smooth of a reading.

Unless the at the tight scale it's on. Looks like maybe an ignition issue possibly by the bouncing around. What was the fuel pressure? A/f ratio? 

What is the engine combo? Trans and stall? What make converter? 

496 Stroker. All internals by Straub. Straub squishy with AFR 265. Quick flow 850 with Eddy RPM.  Rear gears are 3.55.  Stall is a 3200. I do remember them saying fuel and A/f looked good. Timing is at 37. Car runs excellent.. I know for sure she makes more than this. 

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Welcome aboard the boards Boards,    we hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member of the club

rob

Thank you. Plan too.. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey usaflineman,

Yes you should be making more in my opinion. I have a 496 in my 70 SS. Worked over rectangle port heads, solid flat tappet cam, Edelbrock rpm air gap, 950HP Holley,  mechanical fuel pump, th400- 3800-4000 stall conv, 3.31 12 bolt. 

I have to check my records, but I think I have a little more timing. Have you had it to the track yet? Nice Monte you have. Is that Nevada silver? 

IMG_0655.JPG

2 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Hey usaflineman,

Yes you should be making more in my opinion. I have a 496 in my 70 SS. Worked over rectangle port heads, solid flat tappet cam, Edelbrock rpm air gap, 950HP Holley,  mechanical fuel pump, th400- 3800-4000 stall conv, 3.31 12 bolt. 

I have to check my records, but I think I have a little more timing. Have you had it to the track yet? Nice Monte you have. Is that Nevada silver? 

IMG_0655.JPG

Yes, Nevada Silver. Track is next on list. Probably a 1/8 since it's closer. 

That is a beautiful Monte you have there.  Something I did not mention in my first reply post..... We love lots of pictures, that was a nice teaser you gave us.

rob

See what she does at the track and tune it there. The Dyno is more of a reference and to see how all is working. The track is the real test.

Do you know what make Dyno it was? Some dynos read lower than others.

Where do you live? Your track is open? Lol. 

13 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

See what she does at the track and tune it there. The Dyno is more of a reference and to see how all is working. The track is the real test.

Do you know what make Dyno it was? Some dynos read lower than others.

Where do you live? Your track is open? Lol. 

Believe it was a Dynojet.  Any ideas why it only reads from 4300-4900 rpm?  Yes tracks are open here in SC.  Suppose to be 65 and sunny again by Saturday. 

I believe the Dynojets numbers are a little more liberal than some others. Idk what the short rpm range? What is the rpm range of the cam?

Best way is to take her to the track. I highly recommend some drag radials or slicks. The street tires are useless against the 496s torque. 

Sure, rub it in! 65! Lol we are lucky to get out of the single digits up here for the next few days. Lolol