Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
MonteMack

Dana 60 swap

Currenly have a 12 bolt open diff in my 72' wondering if anyone here has swapped a dana or something alike? C clips kinda scare me haha.

Cheers

A Dana 60, while being a good differential is a big heavy unit. I would suggest "c clip" eliminator kit for the 12 bolt. 

You already have a 12 bolt, add a truetrac, some gears and c clip eliminators and axles. Way cheaper than doing a Dana 60. 

I understand your concerns about the c clip axles. I personally have a 12 bolt, 3.31, Detroit truetrac, strange c clip axles in my 496 70 SS. Have beaten it unmercifully at the track and on the street with NO problems. With slicks and drag radials. So far a best of 11.22@119 with a 1.5-1.6 60'.

I have not done it myself but have had it done to other rear ends. Yes, welding is required to the rear end side. 

C-clip eliminator kits are generally bolt on items. Converting to something like a Ford 9" housing end requires welding and is probably the better way to go.