Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
LS5

1970 SS for sale on Facebook

Awesome ūüĎć the Misfits won't be running over another fixable car with a tank for TV.

That's great to hear, those guys on misfits are clowns. Have fun with the restoreation 

Day late & a dollar short as usual , but at least now it will be saved & not parted out . Love that color !

14 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Hey Darren, 

Thanks for the heads up! I spoke to Rich and the deal is done. I pick it up this weekend coming up. Thank you again for originally posting the info. 

If you're passing thru Niagara Falls on the way back home give me a shout. Congratulations! (I imagine you'd be taking a more direct East route though after looking at the maps)

I'm glad to read the outcome of this post. I saw the original Facebook post that Rich made months ago, when he bought the car. I, along with others, commented and gave him information about the SS. He was considering selling at that time, but didn't pursue it. I had saved the post and a few weeks ago, I messaged him to see if he had done anything with it. He replied about his son's health issues and was ready to sell, but he didn't know what to ask for it. I offered to help with that, since I'm not in the market to buy one. He told me more about the car, but he didn't send additional photos. I said that without knowing more about it, like the extent of the rust, condition of the motor and transmission, knowing the interior is gone, etc., that I'd suggest starting at $5k and go down from there. He said that's about what he thought, too. 

The car has the L on the cowl tag that was only used by Oshawa and Kansas City to designate the SS454 package.

I'm glad it's going to be restored. The guys at Misfit Garage may have been wanting to do a good restoration, but I have my doubts that they would go that direction. 

Tom, please post some good pics of your project, when you get it.  As far as that goes, post pics of your other cars, too. We need to see them! 

That goes for you too, Willie! We know now that you have the knowledge of how to do it! Lol.

Dan

As some of you know I am Tom's brother . His son and I are currently helping him do the restoration on the 4speed car and enjoying the family time together. It now looks like we are going to spend lots more time together when we get to the SS project. Thanks for your help finding the car . I did not know about the L on the trim tag...... Like I said several times before you learn something new every day here !!!

Glad to see the car didnt go to the Misfits, and end up with some air ride and 24" wheels, them clowns would probably cut the roof off and make it a roadster! 

Good luck with it and keep us posted! 

10 hours ago, overdrive said:

I'm glad to read the outcome of this post. I saw the original Facebook post that Rich made months ago, when he bought the car. I, along with others, commented and gave him information about the SS. He was considering selling at that time, but didn't pursue it. I had saved the post and a few weeks ago, I messaged him to see if he had done anything with it. He replied about his son's health issues and was ready to sell, but he didn't know what to ask for it. I offered to help with that, since I'm not in the market to buy one. He told me more about the car, but he didn't send additional photos. I said that without knowing more about it, like the extent of the rust, condition of the motor and transmission, knowing the interior is gone, etc., that I'd suggest starting at $5k and go down from there. He said that's about what he thought, too. 

The car has the L on the cowl tag that was only used by Oshawa and Kansas City to designate the SS454 package.

I'm glad it's going to be restored. The guys at Misfit Garage may have been wanting to do a good restoration, but I have my doubts that they would go that direction. 

Tom, please post some good pics of your project, when you get it.  As far as that goes, post pics of your other cars, too. We need to see them! 

That goes for you too, Willie! We know now that you have the knowledge of how to do it! Lol.

Dan

Hey Dan, yeah Rich had mentioned he spoke to a few of us here at the club on his car back when he first got it and when he posted it on facebook. The 5K was a good start point and was what he had mentioned to me others had said as well, I figured to see if it went to one of our guys it was a good idea to list it on here and am happy that Tom got his hands on it and that it will be saved....

Were is the L supposed to be on the Canadian cowl tags ? I only thought they used the Z20 to show the SS454 package.

here is my cowl tag off the 71SS and dont see an L anywhere.

Darren

IMG_2014.jpg

Rumour has it that the L was on the cowl tag for all Canadian SS montes. I have seen both with and with out. From my understanding Baltimore had the L on all big block cars, not just Monte's. 

5 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Rumour has it that the L was on the cowl tag for all Canadian SS montes. I have seen both with and with out. From my understanding Baltimore had the L on all big block cars, not just Monte's. 

Just checked the cowl tag on my Baltimore-built '70 402 but can't see an "L" anywhere.  What position on the cowl tag was used and what did it designate ?

My Canadian built 71 SS had the Z20 but not the L. Was the L possibly just a 1970 thing?

Looked at our two big block non SS 71 Baltimore built  Monte's one is an early build and one is a mid year and both do not have an L on trim tag. They do have a B where the L would be. Not sure if it's for Baltimore or B for big block

7 hours ago, Canuck said:

My Canadian built 71 SS had the Z20 but not the L. Was the L possibly just a 1970 thing?

Yeah I checked my 1970 402-4spd one and No L anywhere and also checked my other BB 71 and No L and the 2 Baltimore cars I had and No L's on either of those too plus my Gold Kansas Car I had and NO "L"...... Must be a Hoax...... hahaha   or maybe a Hoax with an L...............

Darren

I guess I was just repeating what I had read on this forum a good while back. Like Aaron said, maybe the Oshawa SS454s only had it one year. I know that's the case with Kansas City cars, because they didn't start Monte production there until the '71 model year. 

It would be great to know the answer. 

Are there any Canadian built SS cars out there with the L on the cowl tag? Probably not. I think I got confused about an L being on the tag, not remembering the Z20 on it.

Dan

Don't mean to add to any confusion, however, the cowl tag on my Van Nuys-built '70 SS has an "L" in the Assembly Plant position which is also confirmed in the VIN.  The "L" was the assembly plant code for Los Angeles/Van Nuys.  The only big block engine coding I am aware of occurs in the 5th position of the '72 VIN where "U" and "W" were used to designate the 402 and 454, respectively.

IMG_5788.JPG

Hey Everyone, First, upset I missed out on the car, I offered the man a car to replace it so he and his son could build something together with some cash. But I guess that still wasn't enough. So glad that the Misfits didn't get it, and that our Tom did. He will bring it back the way it should be.

Second, I think Dan is half right, I am not sure about the Canadian cars and the Trim tag stating the Z20, But I do believe the Kansas City cars came down the L line. I have a 71SS also and mine shows as this one does, the L just under the color 67.

Third, Dan you are right I should spend some more time sending some updated pics.

UPDATE.....Hey guys, hold up on the praises. I am passing on the car, so it is back for sale. 

In one of the pics there is some damage to the cowl area. The car at one point was hit well enough to bang up the cowl. 

As you all know I am currently restoring my 71 402 4speed and I have the 402 auto waiting in the corner. I feel for me, at this time, I have to pass. I'm sorry guys. 

I spoke to the owner Rich and he is ok with my decision.¬† Again, sorry all ūüėě

So Rich just sent me a video of both sides of the Cowl and firewall and inside both door jambs and doors open and closing and fully latching. 

that damage is as cosmetic as you can get it and the smallest amount I have seen......I hope someone can buy this.....Willie or Leo.... the damage is nothing but cosmetic and no structural damage at all from what I can see and I stopped the video lots to look. even shows the tach and gauges in the video and floor pans.

I think the picture wasnt clear enough as a stand alone single picture. the video spoke volumes to nothing to worry about just my 2 cents worth 

Darren

Darren, your post above should get that car sold pretty quickly, I think. I sold one of my '57s today, and I can afford to buy this car, but I'd be a hoarder if I did. I already have a '57 Nomad to restore next. It's a pretty nice driver right now, so I'm in no big hurry to tear it apart.  Another Monte would have a long wait at my house. 

Dennis, the BL on your tag is actually the code for the Van Nuys plant. The L we're talking about on the Leed's plant cars is lower on the tag. 

Dan

Screenshot_20190219-211721_Chrome.jpg

Darren, do you know if he has all the body parts?? Do you know where the car is in Indiana?? My wife says no but I would like to restore a Monte some day soon..

Hi Guys, Rich lives in Greenfield Indiana. also here are some more pics of the extra large parts he has that go with it.. he also has some smalls as well he says too. 

Darren

IMG_4684.JPG

IMG_4685.JPG

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

Please note guys which some if not most of you noticed right from the start. That Rich had advertised this as a 1970 SS but it is NOT the correction has been noted by most but not all as I CANT change the title on the posting once it has gone out but a sub title was added.

This is even more RARE because its a 1971 SS...... the vin number on the title and all the numbers from the block and so on indicate its a 71ss.

Darren