Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
smokinquack

Another new guy

Bought my dream car a few months ago.. 70 numbers matching true SS,  Kinda a barn find, less than 300 miles since the 2nd  owner re-titled it 18 years ago (after his divorce) .  Heard it running when I bought it, sounded great.  Just pulled the tranny cause the flexplate was shot, teeth ground down, got a new flexplate and starter and also an HEI distributor cause the original was bad.  80,000 miles, solid car, got a couple questions  . Crayon or paint marking under the hood is significant? Maybe a build date? Flint MI car so no build sheet. I know 70 chevelles with the LS5 had chrome valve covers.  Did any Montes come with chrome valve covers?  This car has them but its so original I would be surprised if they had been replaced. 

Resized_20180714_192328_9466.jpeg

Resized_20180716_111147_8208.jpeg

Welcome! Congrats on the purchase!

I've never seen markings like that on a hood but others may have.

Can we see more pics? Engine, interior, etc.

Does it have the right side mirror?

I'm thinking this is a low option car, no vinyl roof, non-painted optional sport mirror.

Welcome to the club!

Usually the build date is on a sticker on the driver's door by the locking mechanism.

I have not seen markings like that on a hood. Maybe when antifreeze was done for whatever reason? That's why the 50 at the end? 50/50 mix? It's interesting. Lol

Would love to see more pics like Paul suggested. 

Again, welcome!!!

Welcome nice car. you can also find build date on left side lower line of trim tag there will be a  number = month and letter = week. Good luck with the car

Welcome! Nice find.

I have not seen markings like that on the hood before. The Montes did not have chrome valve covers from the factory.

Welcome!

Welcome to the club, I worked at a Chevrolet Dealer more many years and we had a tech that would write the date and coolant range under the hood. Nice looking car!! Enjoy the ride...

Nice car! Welcome! It looks like someone wrote the date and that the anti-freeze was tested to protect down to 5 degrees. It must have been in a southern state. 

Dan

Per request, adding a few more pictures.  Installed the new flexplate and got the tranny back in, also installed a new distributor.  Need to install the new starter yet and get a battery.  Needs new seat covers and carpet otherwise interior is in good shape.  Trunk has residue on the floor, I think they came with some kind of liner ?   2nd owner removed the vinyl top in 1972 cause he knew they rust, probably not a bad decision.   First owner was a school teacher.  I am the 3rd owner.  In the middle of a blizzard here in Nebraska, gonna be a while till I can get it out of the garage.

Resized_20190223_171507_6918.jpeg

Resized_20190223_163902_2949.jpeg

Resized_20190223_164654_6122.jpeg

Resized_20190223_164138_2721.jpeg

Resized_20190223_164432_5580.jpeg

The trunk mat looks like this. Many suppliers have them. I use Classic Muscle, Tamraz's, and The Parts Place.

Good job on the flex plate replacement.

It's great that your load leveling system is intact.

Dan 

Screenshot_20190223-222412_Chrome.jpg

Nice SS!!!!!!!! 70's are my favorite. I'm working on my second 70. It has the same green bucket seat interior as yours. Looks like a great find, and a great start to a beautiful car. People on this forum are GREAT! Post any questions you have, they will help. David

Greg, I would use Goof Off and let it soak in to the remnants of the trunk mat. Eventually it'll desolve the adhiseve and you'll be able to easily scrape it off. The paint will also certainly come off.

Be aware, there's a chemical in Goof Off that will kill you if you inhale too much in an un-ventilated area, it's used in re-glazing bathtubs and there's been a few deaths. It's great stuff but be careful.

Welcome to the Club Greg, Lots of knowledge here from many members. Ask away on questions and we love to see lots of pictures too.

Dont forget to consider becoming a Full Fledged Member for $25 a year. It will be the best $25 you spend a year to lots of Club events and meeting new Monte Family Members to say the least...

Darren

Hey Greg!  Welcome! Nice ride you have there,  my first one had the same interior. You're right about that dang blizzard we had... though i haven't been in the garage for a week anyway lol

John

Greg that looks like the steering wheel on my new 70 I bought in Sept of 69 except mine said Malibu or Chevelle on the horn plate. It took the dealer a year to get me the correct Monte Carlo plate.

On 2/27/2019 at 1:25 PM, Dorknozzle said:

Sorry non-ss guy here. 

They don't all come with tachs?

Thanks for the insight

The special instrumentation was not part of the SS454 package. You had to order it separately.

Jason:

As built by the factory:

1970 SS package included: 454 LS5 engine, TH400 transmission, automatic level control rear shocks, 12 bolt open (non-posi) differential rear, boxed rear lower control arms, front and rear sway bars, heavy duty battery and radiator, dual exhaust with chrome tips and SS454 rocker panel emblems. 15 x 7 rally wheels were under wheel covers (usually black) unless the rally wheel option was ordered, which deleted the wheel covers and added silver paint, rally center caps and trim rings.

1971 SS package was the same as 1970 plus: upper horizontal rear panel moldings, blacked out rear panel, SS badge on the rear panel, 15 x 7 rally wheels and a thick rubber rub strip across the top edge of the rear bumper.

The SS package did NOT include: Air conditioning, bucket seats, floor console, floor shifter, gauge package, limited slip differential, power seats, power locks, power windows, power trunk release, any special radios.

The SS package could NEVER have as built from the factory: any 350, 400, 402 or LS6 454 engine, manual transmission, cruise control or rear wheel skirts.

All other model options and interior and exterior color combinations were available.