Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
smokinquack

Another new guy

Bought my dream car a few months ago.. 70 numbers matching true SS,  Kinda a barn find, less than 300 miles since the 2nd  owner re-titled it 18 years ago (after his divorce) .  Heard it running when I bought it, sounded great.  Just pulled the tranny cause the flexplate was shot, teeth ground down, got a new flexplate and starter and also an HEI distributor cause the original was bad.  80,000 miles, solid car, got a couple questions  . Crayon or paint marking under the hood is significant? Maybe a build date? Flint MI car so no build sheet. I know 70 chevelles with the LS5 had chrome valve covers.  Did any Montes come with chrome valve covers?  This car has them but its so original I would be surprised if they had been replaced. 

Resized_20180714_192328_9466.jpeg

Resized_20180716_111147_8208.jpeg

Welcome! Congrats on the purchase!

I've never seen markings like that on a hood but others may have.

Can we see more pics? Engine, interior, etc.

Does it have the right side mirror?

I'm thinking this is a low option car, no vinyl roof, non-painted optional sport mirror.

Welcome to the club!

Usually the build date is on a sticker on the driver's door by the locking mechanism.

I have not seen markings like that on a hood. Maybe when antifreeze was done for whatever reason? That's why the 50 at the end? 50/50 mix? It's interesting. Lol

Would love to see more pics like Paul suggested. 

Again, welcome!!!

Welcome nice car. you can also find build date on left side lower line of trim tag there will be a  number = month and letter = week. Good luck with the car

Welcome! Nice find.

I have not seen markings like that on the hood before. The Montes did not have chrome valve covers from the factory.

Welcome!

Welcome to the club, I worked at a Chevrolet Dealer more many years and we had a tech that would write the date and coolant range under the hood. Nice looking car!! Enjoy the ride...

Nice car! Welcome! It looks like someone wrote the date and that the anti-freeze was tested to protect down to 5 degrees. It must have been in a southern state. 

Dan