Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
MC1of80

Opinions everyone!

Hi everyone! 

I'm in the process of restoring my 71 402 4speed. It's supposed to be Classic Copper, dark saddle interior and a white vinyl top. 

My brother and I  have replaced both quarters, tulip panel, trunk floor, outer wheelhouse and floors. My question is.... White vinyl top or not? 

Originally I could not picture a white top on the car but my brother found a pic of one. I'm posting 2 pics to help with this opinion poll. Lol Neither Monte is mine. Both are beautiful. 

So people, what's your opinion?

KIMG04291.jpg

IMG_0197.JPG

I like leaving them as they came from the factory but I sure do love my classic copper without the vinyl top.

Here's  a couple side shots of those two options

gallery_98_4_831248.jpg

L16_00386.jpg

No top in my opinion unless you are trying to keep it factory. The one in the picture almost looks like a tan top. That is a great color

34 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I like leaving them as they came from the factory but I sure do love my classic copper without the vinyl top.

Here's  a couple side shots of those two options

gallery_98_4_831248.jpg

L16_00386.jpg

Thank you Canuck for the pics and making it even more difficult! Lololol

My opinion?  Love the white vinyl top!  I know the attached photos are of a '70 in Autumn Gold, but I think the look is very similar.  A vinyl roof adds one more degree of class to any first gen Monte, IMO.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

I prefer no vinyl top.

IMG_1002.JPG

Edited by Leghome
added photo

I think if your Monte had the light Sandalwood Interior like Aaron's Monte then you could almost go with a Covert or Tan vinyl top to match the interior and would look good.

But with that dark Saddle interior i think no vinyl roof would look better or you have too many colors on the car..... my 2 cents worth..

Darren

All beautiful Monte Carlos!

BUT the question is on my Classic Copper, dark saddle interior, should I put the factory white vinyl top or leave the top off? 

It's at the point of drilling holes in the new quarters and tulip panel or removing the studs from the roof.  Half full/half empty, 6 of one/ half dozen of the other. Lol

Again, thank you all for your opinions and keep your pics coming! 

Some colors do look better and more classy with the top. Here is an example my Black 71 had a top added by the first owner. I removed the top and love how it looks,but certain colors on Monte's need the top in my opinion

KIMG0011.JPG

KIMG0207.JPG

I love the contrasting colors.  If you don't like  vinyl you  could always go Two Tone and paint the roof a contrasting color.  In doing that you would not have to do any welding and grinding.

70 was the only year you could get a two Tone paint with a roof color of something other than white.  In 71 & 72 the only two-tone roof color available was white.  Unfortunately Classic Copper was not available in two-tone but it is your car and you should do what you think looks best.

rob

My 2 cents is I Love the car without and with, but with vinyl tops, the car looks so much more classy. However i understand the problems that we all have with the vinyl tops. That is something we have to think about when we rebuild them. I know on my cars they all will be rebuilt with the vinyl tops if that's the way they were born.

I also agree with Darren, that if she has the light interior it looks great, but with the darker interior and the lighter top, too many colors. I have 2 cars that are classic copper, one with light interior, and one with dark and when i get to them to build i will change the interior color from dark to light so it looks more pleasing to the eye.

I think you'll like the white top, especially if it came from the factory that way. 

Dan

So I would likely if going that route, not re-install the vinyl top on that car. I like the look on that color without it. On my 70 Black Cherry the vinyl top is nice and I'll be keeping it. But it's a Halo roof car so it loses some of it's character if I remove it....but I have a model (SS) 1/18 of my car in the same exact color and it does not have the vinyl roof and I like it!!! Also if I was going to drive it more across the country...I'd likely not add the potential rust collector...but that's me...

Either way it will look GREAT...so it's really up to you which way you go..I take it the original is stripped off now so the roof is in good shape and not waive? That might also (it a lot of work to make it STRAIGHT) play a factor into your decision...but I likely am wrong and it's fine...

Wish winter would get over and back to enjoyment of our cars...

I'm a vinyl top fan. All 3 of the Monty's I've had, and my '70 Chevelle, have been (black) vinyl.

That being said, I vote for no vinyl on your car and let that beautiful classic copper shine through!

Best thing about it is, you can't make a bad decision here.

Scott

hi, my 72 custom is midnight bronze with dark saddle interior with light tan vinyl top , which was what the original owner ordered ,who also livesin the same town as me and are great friends, not sure how to show photos,thanks

Roger, you can email some of the pictures to me and I will post them.  My email is rob29ford@aol.com

rob

2 hours ago, rsorg said:

hi, my 72 custom is midnight bronze with dark saddle interior with light tan vinyl top , which was what the original owner ordered ,who also livesin the same town as me and are great friends, not sure how to show photos,thanks

To post photos there is a paperclip link below the window where you make a post that says “click to choose files”.

I like the look of the vinyl top but I would not put one back on after replacing that metal.  My vote is for no vinyl top!

I'd go topless. When I removed my vinyl top a lot of nastyness reared it's ugly head... 

and it looks way better... streamlined...

BEFORE.jpg.0700b8b70385e710bcd9847befb94080.jpg