70 mc rear end and trans swap

Mklingenhofer

I have a 70 mc and I'm getting a doner 2000 chevy 1500 2wd auto trans. Will the rear end and 4l60e swap into my 70? Obviously I'll have to relocate the spring hangers on the rear end and alter the driveshaft length. I assume I'm going to have to move the trans mount as well hur is there anything else I'm missing? Or is this swap a giant pain and not worth it?

The trans can swap in. The rear..... If you can weld, anything is possible. But why? Because it's free? Sometimes that's worse than beefing up what you have. Usually it costs more for the "free" part than doing it differently. Why do you want to attempt to use the rear from the truck??

The trans will need a stand alone computer to run it if you don't swap the engine and harness all at once. Again, sometimes free isn't worth it. 

The truck is cheap. Trans just rebuilt. And the rear end has posi and disc brakes. Plus I am gonna swap the same era 5.3 in, this truck just has a bad block but I can get a short block for cheap and it's currently running just poorly so I'll have the computer and harness and everything. 

Personally, if that is your plan, use the engine, trans and harness. Forget the rear. Sell it and whatever is worth anything on the truck and get a posi and discs for the rear in the car. I say this due to the posi in in the truck rear is most likely the gov lock posi= junk. It will explode on ya. For arguments sake, a truetrac is roughly 450. And rear disc kit right around that price also. You will have a better rear than the trucks. Or buy a used 12 bolt and discs. Just a thought. 

No I absolutely appreciate the advice. I'm actually a ford/mopar guy. This is my 1st GM and any experiance is appreciated. I was just told that the 99-02 gm truck rear ends are basically a direct swap other than the spring hangers so I thought It would be easy lol