power window install

sendo

finally got some power windows, got a question on the main power wire.

does it connect to the fuse box like in shown on this page?

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/PW.htm

or does it go to a circuit breaker in the engine bay and from the circuit breaker to horn relay?

this is for a 70 monte

thanks, Sendo

Hey, Sendo,

I have included one photo of the fuse box on my '70 SS with factory power windows that shows the orange main power wires coming off the "BAT" terminal similar to the Buick photo.  However, since you do not want the power windows to operate without your key in the ignition (for security reasons), the red (or pink) trigger wire for the power window relay (which should have come with your pw system) comes off the "ACC" tap which allows your power windows to operate only when the key is in the ignition and turned to the "Accessory" position whether the engine is running or not. 

If you are installing power windows on a low-optioned car, you may well have to install a longer power tang in that position of your fuse panel or, if there is already a tab there that is occupied by another power option wire, you can use a "piggy back" connector on the existing tab to add another tab for your power windows.

When I added factory power windows to my low-optioned 4-speed '70, I ran a dedicated 30 amp (10 AWG) wire from a "C" battery tap all the way into my passenger compartment to a 6-position expansion fuse block that I mounted to the under edge of the dash just above my left knee when driving.  That allowed me to provide main power to the power windows, the power door locks and the power seat back releases. It also allowed me to use the modern 2-legged fuses sized independently for each power option. I run a 30 A fuse for the windows.  That really helps to un-clutter the main fuse panel and is much easier to change fuses, as well. Note that the trigger wire for the power window relay still goes to the "ACC" tab on the main fuse panel to prevent the windows from operating unless the key is present and turned to the "Accessory" position.  I've included four photos of that approach below, also.

Maybe you've installed factory power windows before, but I hadn't so I found it a bit tricky.  Let me know if/when you have other questions as I have many more photos of my project.  Good luck.

IMG_1372.JPG

666.JPG

684.JPG

690.JPG

692.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sendo said:

so going this route is for a different year?

image.png.e78292b838741f8e9c52cfa3631654cd.png

Sorry, Sendo ... guess I don't understand your question.  Your original post said "this is for a 70 Monte" and that is what I also installed factory power windows in.  I don't recognize your photo above.  Is that the engine compartment side of the firewall and fuse panel? 

Did you get a power window relay with your power window system?  If not, you'll need to get one.  The factory location for that relay is crazy - it's inside the cowl on the driver's side.  If you don't already have power door locks and a wire path through the door and cowl, you will need to remove the doors to cut access holes in the cowl on both sides and the doors, also.  Flexible accordion boots are then required to complete the wiring channel between the door and cowl.

568.JPG

667.JPG

670.JPG

763.JPG

806.JPG

• Like 1

The engine side firewall pic Sendo posted came from me.

It's my understanding that Chevrolet cars had an added wire from the horn relay to a circuit breaker on the firewall that fed a wire that poked out from the inside to feed optional items like power seats and windows and convertible tops (on Chevelles). I've also seen that Buicks got the power window feed from the "BATT" terminal on the fuse block for the same power window system, they just fed it main power differently. I have a power window system that I pulled from a Monte years ago with the feed-through wire. Here's what the feed-through wire looks like and a pic on the power end of my harness.

Seat wires.jpg

power connections.jpg

• Like 1

Having said all this, knowing how things were done back then, it's possible that different assembly lines did the power feed differently and it wouldn't surprise me. Either way works. However, if you have headlights on, stepping on the brakes, wipers on, etc. then run one or two windows up or down, you may blow the fuse in the fuse block that feeds the BATT terminal thereby killing everything. Having the power windows on a separate feed from the horn relay battery buss is a more proper electrical design. If I was installing power windows, I'd NOT feed it from the fuse box.

• Like 1