Question about drip rail filler.

Hello all. I joined this forum a little less than a year ago. I am happy to be a part of this elite group and have found an abundance of useful information here. I picked up my 72 Monte for $3000 in Jan 2018 and it appears to have only 32,000 miles. I am now seriously concentrating on the bodywork. This car was from Minnesota but found it’s way to Florida where I live so it has some rusted wheel wells and fenders. It is my 2nd Monte Carlo, my last on being a 1970 which I had to sacrifice to buy a lift for my auto repair shop when I started out in business nearly 40 years ago. I’ve missed it ever since. 

My question is this. Does anyone know what goes into the gap in the picture. I’m assuming it may be a caulk or urethane sealer? 

image.jpg

The rain gutter/drip rail (part with the molding on it) is spot welded to that panel and it should be flush up against that piece. The quarter panel fits into that that rail  Aside from maybe a smear of seam sealer there is nothing that should fill that entire area.  It looks like  it probably rotted and began to separate. I've attached a picture of what that area looks like without the quarter installed.

driprail.PNG

Hi welcome. I does look like you have a rust issue in that area,common place for them to rust. Hard area to fix unfortunately. Most I have seen have seam sealer run in the seam. Here is a picture of the car currently getting done in this area. Good luck

KIMG0471.JPG

KIMG0470.JPG