Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers

Just saw this one listed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-SS-454-ORIGINAL-ENGINE-TRANS-REAR-END-31K-MILES/312512481547?hash=item48c332090b:g:-E8AAOSwDQ1cew82:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

This is a very nice heavily optioned car. Washer level monitor, light monitoring system, courtesy lamp package, posi, deluxe belts, etc.

I don't see on the build sheet the option code for the dual rear speakers, or the trunk release (The wire on the right trunk hinge must be for it).

The trim under the fender extensions (under the headlights) and the side rubbers for the rear bumper are missing.

The fenders seem to have been painted black under the hood. They should be the body color all the way to the skirts.

It'd be nice if the seller showed some underbody pics.

Wow!  If I didn't already have a nice '70 SS, I would be bidding on that one!  Numbers matching, buckets/console, 31K miles and the exact color combo of my first new '70!  Load compressor is there along with a lot of other great options!  Wonder what the reserve is set at?

Probably the best optioned SS I’ve ever seen. I did see that it has a small block fan shroud which is odd.

The only thing I do not see is the headlight squirters that were verrrrry rare (built into top of headlight bezel) and power seat back release (also very rare).  Has the fiber optic light lamp monitoring system and the fiber optic windshield washer fluid monitor.  Surprised it does not at least have the 4 way power seat because the 6 way is the rare one.  Nice clean very well optioned car and seems to have all original drivetrain.  Wonder what they have the reserve set at .......... that may be the deal breaker.

Dan

A few more observations;

I think the wire in the trunk on the right side is the fiber optic line for the light monitor system.

UM2 is the AM/FM tape (stereo system 4 speakers) see box 94 on the build sheet lists speakers F2 R2.

I think the fan shroud is correct.. can't see the section that bolts to the rad support in the picture (as that is the section which is shorter for a big block)

However,  looks like part of the fan blade is peeking out, a small block shroud I would think would hide the complete fan.

Looks like the front inner fenders have been replaced as well.

Kind of surprised it doesn't have the heavy duty cooling option, would be listed on the build sheet  box 45 as code PB= 4 core A/T

Looks like it may have paint work or have been painted ( the driver fender bolt is painted and the dome light switch in the jam looks painted as well)

Appears the headrests have been covered.

Missing top rear A/C bracket..spare tire too!!

I think the following options could have been ordered but weren't;

I've had an NOS headlight bezel notched for a squirter, but think that option was cancelled pre-production or very very early on.

power seat back release

power driver seat

sport steering wheel

electric trunk release

finger-tip wiper control

heavy duty cooling

Wide belt moldings

Too bad they didn't post many more quality photos.

Very cool car none-the-less!!

I agree with  Dave, just inside the right side of the trunk, up high, it would be the fiber optic line from the right tail light that looks like it is going up the right hings.  Mine hangs down like that one and I am always tucking it up inside the channel just above where you see the fiber optic line but it just refuses to stay in place.

One of the available options I also don't see in the pictures or on the build sheet would be the rear shoulder harness option.  I don't think I have ever seen a Monte with them even though it was an option.

My eyes may be off but the show of the left rear it looks to me like the trim piece above the rear bumper has a dent in it and just to the right of that little dent it looks like a spot of rust.  I know we could sit here and find many things wrong with the car but I do feel the good things out weigh the bad.  It would be good to know what the reserve is but based upon the description the guy gives I would bet it is very high.  I also agree it is a very nice low mileage car and well equipped but like it has been observed it was not ordered with every option available like the seller appears to be indicating. 

I know there are some newer people here on the site that are looking for a nice big block Monte and this may be one you could consider.  For those newer people please don't feel we are picking this car apart.  A couple of the reasons we may point things out on an ad is 1) if the ad is a little or a lot misleading and 2) if a newer member who may be considering buying one of these beauties they should be well informed on things to ask about if they contact the seller.  Another thing I would ask the seller for is some more detailed pictures of things like the undercarriage engine compartment and interior.  I saw some things on the interior that I would also ask the seller about and if anyone is interested in the car and wants to know what they are let me know.

rob

That's a well optioned Monte. Ours was also ordered by someone other than a dealership.  It seems the cars used by Chevrolet had a good amount of options. 

Not all '70s had the trim below the headlights. 

Dan

Screenshot_20180217-092450.png

FB_IMG_1507394199619.jpg

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

One of the available options I also don't see in the pictures or on the build sheet would be the rear shoulder harness option.  I don't think I have ever seen a Monte with them even though it was an option.

In my 1970 Convertible Monte Carlo that Vaughn now owns. I installed the AS4 Option in the Back seats, I figured it was only fitting for the convertible to have the rear shoulder harness.

I also installed the Rare Electro Tip wipers where the Cruise Control lever goes........ Truth told GM used the same lever just changed the label from Cruise to Electro tip.

Darren

Idk if it's true or not, on the 70s, I have noticed the early cars had the under headlight mouldings and later 70s did not. Going by Baltimore built 70s. Anyone else find this true? 70 Chevelle's also. 

6 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Idk if it's true or not, on the 70s, I have noticed the early cars had the under headlight mouldings and later 70s did not. Going by Baltimore built 70s. Anyone else find this true? 70 Chevelle's also. 

My late Baltimore factory build 70 (June 70) has the under headlight trim on the bottom of the front fender extensions, between the bumper and headlight bezel.

rob

10 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

I agree with  Dave, just inside the right side of the trunk, up high, it would be the fiber optic line from the right tail light that looks like it is going up the right hings.  Mine hangs down like that one and I am always tucking it up inside the channel just above where you see the fiber optic line but it just refuses to stay in place.

My eyes may be off but the show of the left rear it looks to me like the trim piece above the rear bumper has a dent in it and just to the right of that little dent it looks like a spot of rust.  I know we could sit here and find many things wrong with the car but I do feel the good things out weigh the bad.  It would be good to know what the reserve is but based upon the description the guy gives I would bet it is very high.  I also agree it is a very nice low mileage car and well equipped but like it has been observed it was not ordered with every option available like the seller appears to be indicating. 

I know there are some newer people here on the site that are looking for a nice big block Monte and this may be one you could consider.  For those newer people please don't feel we are picking this car apart.  A couple of the reasons we may point things out on an ad is 1) if the ad is a little or a lot misleading and 2) if a newer member who may be considering buying one of these beauties they should be well informed on things to ask about if they contact the seller.  Another thing I would ask the seller for is some more detailed pictures of things like the undercarriage engine compartment and interior.  I saw some things on the interior that I would also ask the seller about and if anyone is interested in the car and wants to know what they are let me know.

rob

Hey Rob, speaking for myself I appreciate the members pointing out things and giving their opinions. One of the ways i'm learning more about the first gen's. For me unfortunately I haven't found a Monte local so the odds are i'm going to have to travel to inspect one somewhere. That adds travel rental car hotel money to the final price, some may say you can't figure that stuff in to the price of the car but theres only so much money in the bank account. 

As stated, I would definitely ask for more detailed pictures from the seller, especially undercarriage. 

Mark,

Most of us here try to be careful about Dissing people's cars.  It has happened many times here and it can ruffle feathers so usually if you see someone pointing something out that is negative many of us here will also show praise for that same car.  This car in question is what looks like a very nice car and mostly original.  When I say original I mean mostly the way it was equipped from the factory, not necessarily a "survivor".  A survivor is a car that has never been painted or any other things done to it other than normal maintenance.  

The person selling this car, I think but don't know for sure, is going on information provided to them by another party.  Yes it appears to be a car ordered by corporate as a show piece.  The things I have noticed in the interior that I mentioned are normal wear you would expect to see with an original interior.  That said, it will detract from the overall value of the car.  Right now on mine, my steering wheel has a couple cracks, the clock needs repaired and I need to replace the package tray so if I were to list it for sale I would need to take care of those things or expect someone to point them out in a negotiation on the selling price and this seller may feel the same way, I assume he has seen the flaws in the interior I have noticed.  

Again, I will say that this car is a very nice vehicle that if someone got for a decent price could have a very nice show car.  I again would love to know what his "Reserve" is

rob

I emailed the seller this morning and never got a response. Some one must have made an offer. I hope a club member got it.

It says the top bid was $21,100 BUT the reserve was not met so it may have just ended but not sold.  It does not say it was sold, only says the sale has ended.  It may go back on sale again.  Dave, if he does respond, let us know what he says.

rob

I made the gentleman an offer on the car and he accepted it. My offer amount was not knowing the reserve amount. we were not far off but I bought it for slightly less. he told me that if it didnt sell he was going to paint it and ask for a lot more. he says from 10 feet away the paint looks good but up close you can see where the paint has been resprayed. the aluminum intake is a mystery it has no markings and he said he wouldnt be surprised if it was a test intake. so iam eager to see if I have something a little extra. he believes the interior is original but does not think the carpet is. he also believes the car is registering original miles based on registration information he has documented. he also indicated he bought the car from the family of the owner. I am eager to hear what you guys see either in forum or through private message. critics speak up it helps me learn. 

so my first question should it be painted or left alone. what is the going rate or what have some of you paid. 

Congratulations, Antoine!!!  You just purchased a fantastic first gen Monte, IMO!  I hope you enjoy owning, maintaining and driving it for many years!

This group can and will nit-pick every Monte that shows up in the market so at least you have the right attitude toward such input.  After 49 years of life, none of them can be expected to be completely original or untouched so they all represent a starting point for us to  apply our preferences as we love and care for them.

I bought both of my '70s the same way you bought this one - from photos and phone conversations with the seller.  I can assure you that there will be a few surprises and even disappointments when you actually get your eyes and hands on the car but those pale to insignificance when you consider that the alternative was possibly losing the car in a bidding war.  You did the right thing, my friend! 

Keep us posted on your new ride.  Enjoy!!

I am very open and joined to learn and share. I enjoy the talks, comments and wisdom good and bad. I hope I can contribute and add to the knowledge base. thank you Dennis for you input and hope to see you some where with your monte

Congrats on your purchase Antoine, that didn't take long since your first post on the forum. Just curious how are you getting the car home? I know in South FL good paint and body shops aren't cheap, and there may be an extended wait time to get scheduled, definitely do your research. I'd drive the car awhile and check those pesky little things that creep up on 40+ year old cars plus your personal checklist.

Contrary to the use of your word critic, along with Rob's post I like that your reaching out to the forum members for their opinions since there is a wealth of knowledge on this site. Knowledge is a powerful tool and you can always decide to pass or accept suggestions on what to do with your car.

Again Congrats 

I believe that Critique is the word I am looking for. I mean.no offense when saying critics. 

I bounce back and forth from miami and orlando. I would more than likely find a reputable place in the orlando area. the gentleman who sold the car buys and sells cars and has a reputable body shop he uses.  his price was around $3000. I didnt ask much questions in the type of paint or process, just asked turn around time and he said 2 weeks. again I have not seen the car so I dont know what to expect. 

I am capable of painting the car my career began in a body shop and I have painted mostly camaros and corvettes. I dont care for it in all honesty. I enjoy doing the mechanical stuff

Congratulations on your purchase Antoine!!!  It looks like you have found a nice vehicle.  When you get it we will want to see many pictures and let us know all the details.

rob

Congratulations! You purchased a great car.