Steering column color

714024SPEED

I know that SS cars all had black steering columns no matter what color the interior color was . My question is about our 71 402 4 speed car that my brother and I are restoring the car has a dark saddle interior that someone dyed black. What color should the steering column and the wheel be. Our 72 small block car has a dark saddle interior but column is black.I have heard big block cars would have it painted same color as interior but not sure.

In 1972, the Monte steering column color was Black (if including NK33 Custom Grip Steering Wheel).  Otherwise, the interior color determined the Column color I believe.  I can't claim this was true in 1970 & 1971 Models that were not SS.

Doug

1 hour ago, 72-CLASSIC_RIDE said:

In 1972, the Monte steering column color was Black (if including NK33 Custom Grip Steering Wheel). Otherwise, the interior color determined the Column color I believe

Doug

My first 72 Custom with dark saddle interior, tilt and NK4 steering wheel had a black column. The present 72 Custom with dark saddle interior and NK33 wheel has a black column as well (as Canuck has just pointed out).

I was thinking about spraying the column dark saddle when I get it out, but it'll probably look stupid with the black steering wheel, so I'll re-spray it black. If I was putting an aftermarket steering wheel on it, that may have swayed my choice.

• Like 1

For 1970, the SS454s were the only ones that had black steering columns, no matter what color the interior was, but we've found out recently that that was done 100% of the time.

Dan