HEI timing

smokinquack

I put a new HEI distributor in my 70  SS454. What do I set the timing at? Do I disconnect the vacuum line?  I ran the required wire to IGN spade on circuit breaker, What else do I need to know.

• 2 weeks later...

as stated,starting at around 12 degrees advance  sounds good - watch for pinging or run ,on make sure  your not running too lean then if you have an adjustable advance you can play around with that as well..not surprised and tend to agree the 6 to 8     factory stuff was too conservative... 

Spring has sprung here so I'm able to get the car out of the garage.  It runs but I dont have it dialed in. Once I get it idled down, (I think the Quadrajet still needs some tweeking) My timing light shows like 30 degrees advanced with the vacuum disconnected. hook the vacuum up and it dies. Ive rotated the distributor back and forth but cant seem to find where its suppose to be at.  My timing light fires sporadically so maybe its bad, Any thoughts?