72 FLOOR CONSOLE INSTALL

Regmon

hello...does someone have any pics of how the floor console is installed on a 72 monte, mine has a bracket missing from the unit i'm installing.  and what size the bolts are that hold it to the sifter & floor? thanks..

There is only a bracket for the console towards the rear seat. The front bolts directly to the floor. There are 2 "dimples" on the transmission tunnel for the bolts which are self tapping with a 3/8 head. The other mounting point is to the shifter itself that also bolts directly to the floor/ transmission tunnel. 

Here is a pic of my 4speed brackets, where the hump for the 4speed is, is where your staple shifter is mounted and cable goes through, hope this helps

IMG_20190209_165815.jpg

It's all here, including detailed measurements and automatic transmission setup:

https://macc.chevelles.net/console_install.pdf

Instead of welding, I used very flat head bolts poked up from below, they're called sidewalk bolts.

You'll need a bunch of carpet jute & fluff to push the carpet up to the lower console edges.

If you're using a new console, get the lid hinge screwed into it BEFORE installing the console into the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Another console shifter question. I'm doing a column shift to floor shift conversion, when hooking up the floor shift cable to the tranny shift lever. do I still keep the linkage hooked up for the column linkage? If so for what reason. Thanks for any input.

Yes. For your reverse lights, neutral safety switch and steering column lock/ignition key. Unless you used all those in the console during the conversion, then only for the ignition lock.

• Like 1

So if I use what was originally with the column shift, via the column shift linkage. I will not need the ns switch,reverse lights seitch that's on the floor shifter assembly? The only wiring would be just the courtesy light & shifter ID lights?

20190313_200606.jpg

Help, installing the floor console, where do I pick up the wire for the courtesty light on the rear of the console, and what color would it be?? Thanks for helping. 

52 minutes ago, Regmon said:

Help, installing the floor console, where do I pick up the wire for the courtesty light on the rear of the console, and what color would it be?? Thanks for helping. 

Treat it exactly the same as the under dash courtesy lights and dome light.

Orange is always hot, white gets grounded (to turn the lights on) by the door pins and headlight switch.

Because this is the one lamp (in the console rear) where the plastic lens can melt or brown and deform from the bulb heat if the lights are left on long enough, I changed it to a LED. Nowhere else.