Water drips under dashboard...

70chev

Hey Everybody!

I just had a quick question. Over the last few years, anytime my car is out in the rain I get water coming in the car from under the dashboard leaking on the floor mats on both sides.... I'm guessing I need to have my windshield replaced? (It is the original one) any insight on this problem would be helpful. I want to get it taken care of once I pull it out of storage.

Thanks! 

Okay thank you I'm just assuming the original seal is shot.... just was wondering if there's something else I should be looking for, but the windshield was my first thought.

I agree with Wayne and Tom above.  Most likely it is the windshield seal.  I is always possible that some rust has formed in the windshield channel.  While this is usually more often found as an issue around the rear window it can also happen around the windshield.  We will think positive thoughts that it is only a bad seal though.

rob

Okay very good! I'm just going to have them install a new window because the original is so pitted when the sun hits that I can't see where I'm going 🤣🤣

The windshield seal on my 72 appears to be original, and failed completely. I can push the window out by hand. However.... there are also some minor holes in the A-pillar where water can find its way thru that I'll need to repair as well. Saw it after I pulled the stainless window molding. My prior 72 had the same A-pillar issue on the passenger side, way back in the late 80's that needed to be addressed when I had a new windshield put in. Hopefully you don't run into that on your car.

Thanks! Yes I will check the cowl also. I'm sure when they pull the windshield out the will check around the frame. I'm taking it to an auto glass place that deals with collector cars also.

My cowl area had holes in it from leaves and debris just sitting in there over time. Thought it was the windshield but there was no rust in the channel. My Monte is still in project mode and my floors would be wet when left outside. I used POR- 15 and fiberglass strands to repair the holes. Still haven't had the Monte back outside to see if it worked

For anyone that is replacing their windshield, I ordered 4 before I got one that worked in my '70. It was a year and a half ago, so hopefully the problem is solved. The glass itself was fine, but the connector for the antenna was not. The first one was installed by a friend of mine that does glass for a living, and I. The only windshields these days are made in China and Mexico, I was told by suppliers. The first windshield was in and my friend tried to connect the antenna wire. It wouldn't connect. The original ends are rubber covered to protect the connection from water. The new one was hard plastic and too small. 

Auto City Classic sells alot of these windshields, so I ordered one from them. I explained the issue on the phone and was told that they sell these every week and have had zero issues with the connectors. They shipped one without checking it. It had the same junk connector. They refunded my money. I tried another local supplier that had a different brand. Same problem. Tried another local supplier and finally found one with the correct rubber connector. 

Make sure to ask your supplier to check for the rubber connector as soon as they get it. If their windshield has the plastic one, it won't fit, unless they've corrected the size. Even then, it won't seal the water out of the connection without some silicone caulk. The rubber connector is best.

It took about 20 phone calls and 5 weeks to get my windshield installed. 

Dan