trouble removing door pull straps

killerbrooks

Need help trying to remove the door pull straps. It appears to be simple to slide the metal ends off but of course being me, nothing is ever simple. Is there a trick to slide these metal caps off?

Thanks!

I believe I broke all of mine trying to "slide" them off. I tried to release the latch with a thin piece of metal like a feeler gauge but it didn't work. To keep them in place, I added a hunk of "dum dum" and that has worked. Good luck!

P8230009.jpg

Thanks guys for the quick response. I tried the screwdriver method but maybe I was being a bit to gentle, afraid to damage something. I'll try again later on when I get off work. Thanks again!

Brian,

I have removed those chrome-plated end caps on both of my '70s multiple times and have never "slid" them off.  In fact I'm sure there is a small tab inside each one to kept them from sliding back.  If you force them and break that tab off, they will continue to slide back, especially when you don't want them to.

A very effective way to remove the end caps without damaging them is to simply insert a wide flat blade screwdriver into the open end and then gently but firmly raise or twist the handle. The end caps will lift right off the backing plate, exposing a Phillips head screw that must be removed from each end of the pull strap.  (see photos below)  While the end caps are off, examine their backside to see the flat spring catches that hold them onto the backing plate and also look for the tab mentioned above.

To re-install the strap, replace and tighten the screws then place the end cap in its desired position and snap it back onto the backing plate using your fist or a rubber mallet. Good luck.

709.JPG

710.JPG