preserving paint under vinyl

killerbrooks

About to remove my vinyl top and I a need help with finding the best adhesive remover to use that will not damage the paint. I am planning to not put a vinyl top back on.

Also I have a question about the vinyl tops. This is my second 72 monte carlo and the first had a halo top and this one has a full top. I have noticed that most MC have a halo top, is the full top an aftermarket addition or just another option? Thanks!

Hi. The halo style top is only on the 70 model year. Some say only on early production 70's. (me) . Either way only the 70 was available with a halo style top. The 71-72 only have full style tops. Also note that 70 Monte Carlos can have the full top also. 

It may be a top that was added by dealer or maybe later. My 71 had a full top went to drip rails and down the a pillar. You can see it in the picture.You can look on your trim tag to see if your car came with a top from the factory.

KIMG0145.JPG

Just a little clarification on the halo roofs.  All First Gen Monte's with vinyl or Two Tone roofs had halo roofs from the factory.  Here is the differences.

The 70 Monte's or I should say MOST 70's had what is considered to be the "Full Halo".  The "Full Halo" had a strip of body color running between the drip mouldings and vinyl top/two-tone trim on each side and across the front of the roof between the windshield moulding and the top trim.

The regular vinyl top/two-tone Halo Roof was identical to the " Full Halo" with one exception of the front part with the front trim elimination and the vinyl material running all the way up and tucking under the windshield trim.

Vinyl tops that run all the way to the drip mouldings were either nonfactory roofs installed at a dealer or after market installer.

So bottom line is there was what was considered both Halo and Full Halo roofs on First Gen Monte's.

rob

• Like 1