Frame restoration/ rehab.

So I got a rehabbed frame with my 70 4 speed. I am planning to strip the frame to bare metal. considering sand blasting or soda blasting. I am going to repair one bushing hole and repaint. I am planning on using epoxy and having it mixed to resemble the factory color. 

Has anyone used epoxy and how has it held up, did you prime with epoxy or did you just paint bare metal?

the current frame has brand new poly bushings all around and tubular control arms. I plan to go back with GM or Moog bushings, I have used moog for 30 years for everything I could. I would like to locate gm control arms. Should I buy used and refurbish or buy new and do they meet OEM quality? If I have a used set I rehab I think they will also get epoxy paint but I wouldnt mind powder coating if it can match my paint. any thoughts on this?

The diff will also get blasted but what is the proper color scheme is it black or raw metal?

thoughts ideas or your personal 2 cents are appeciated.

remember I like original for me

output(2).jpg

I agree, looks 834518237_MCC176.thumb.jpg.41e4feff12dbf4e5ec9dbb22e93747eb.jpggreat right now, but its your car, your choice.   I like original also, but didn't do my homework till after I started, but I am not going back

the frame wasnt prepped just painted over and the paint comes off when the scales drop off. since it's out I'll do it again and I don't care much for polyurethane bushings. Willie what did you coat your frame with?

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:31 AM, willie said:

I agree, looks 834518237_MCC176.thumb.jpg.41e4feff12dbf4e5ec9dbb22e93747eb.jpggreat right now, but its your car, your choice.   I like original also, but didn't do my homework till after I started, but I am not going back

Willie your power steering aint gonna work hooked up like that :rofl::rofl::rofl::yay:

• 4 months later...

i just got prices for powder coating the frame and it runs $750 to $1500. the guy who said $1500 sounds like he has done a few and knew the factory color. if i epoxy it myself it will add up to $500 that includes sand blasting. i am not sure which way i want to toss this potatoe

Powder coating is nice, very pricey. Epoxy is very strong finish. sounds like price is the problem. If you are going top notch resto, powder coat. if your going to enjoy the car and drive it everywhere,I'd epoxy it. Like I said, mines been epoxied for 11yrs now and looks the same when I put it on. 1 thing, when you get your car painted/cleared(if it's on the frame) you need to cover it with paper. the clear will dull the epoxy finish. I found out the hard way and have some dull spots.post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

I hope to have a very nice show driver. James i agree epoxy is durable, i was just shocked with the powder coat cost. I looked into the price because they do the sand blasting also.