Manual Transmission Montes

SmokinMC88

I did a search and couldn’t find any topics on this so I figured I’d start one. Just wondering who has Montes with manual transmissions. Please list year, engine size, transmission, and original interior and exterior colors of the car. Thanks

mine is

1971 with a 350, 4 spd, Black interior and Nevada Silver exterior. 

1970 408 (402 .030 over), M20 4-speed, 3.31 posi, Astro Blue/Dark Blue vinyl, black vinyl buckets

My avatar is of my 1971 402/4 speed. It's currently living in Canada. If you can find it, it was featured in Hemmings Muscle Machine Magazine, August 2006... Wow...12 years ago, seems like yesterday.  I saw it last year at the Syracuse Nationals in upstate NY.....it still looks great!

Steve

1972, Monte

383 Stroker

Rock Crusher 4 speed, Hurst shifter, 12 bolt rear end. conversion.  Drive Train courtesy of a 1969 SS Chevelle 396

Dark Green interior, original exterior color Forest Green..

• 3 months later...

<- Envious! Maybe I'll put a manual transmission in mine when the time comes. Build a sort of "what if?" car since no manual transmissions were installed in 72s from the factory.

2 hours ago, car poor said:

<- Envious! Maybe I'll put a manual transmission in mine when the time comes. Build a sort of "what if?" car since no manual transmissions were installed in 72s from the factory.

I suspect when you say they didn't have any manual transmissions in 72 you must be thinking about 4 speed floor [censored] units.  According to our "Resources" area here on the site there were 342 Three Speed Manual Transmissions built in 72.  It does not state they were column shifts but I would almost be willing to bet my left pinky finger none were floor shifts.

rob

Rob, you can keep your left pinky-for now.

The three speed manual transmission was the standard/base transmission in all three years. All were column shifted. It was only available with the standard/base 350/2bbl engine. Any optional engine and you had to step up to at least a Powerglide transmission.

No four speed manual transmissions were available in 1972.

Pic from 1972 publication but is the same for 1970 & 1971 (except the HP ratings).

3 speed.JPG

16 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

I suspect when you say they didn't have any manual transmissions in 72 you must be thinking about 4 speed floor [censored] units.  According to our "Resources" area here on the site there were 342 Three Speed Manual Transmissions built in 72.  It does not state they were column shifts but I would almost be willing to bet my left pinky finger none were floor shifts.

rob

Correct. My Chevelles have 3 pedals and a Muncie, I would like to do the same with the Monte when the time comes. 

On 8/16/2019 at 11:10 PM, Paul Bell said:

Rob, you can keep your left pinky-for now.

The three speed manual transmission was the standard/base transmission in all three years. All were column shifted. It was only available with the standard/base 350/2bbl engine. Any optional engine and you had to step up to at least a Powerglide transmission.

No four speed manual transmissions were available in 1972.

Pic from 1972 publication but is the same for 1970 & 1971 (except the HP ratings).

3 speed.JPG

I’ve never seen a Monte with a powerglide. Many of them out there?

I have only seen a couple of them but over the 3 years there were around 10,000 of them produced  with the powerglide.

rob

I have dealer invoices for two 72  Monte's with factory powerglide transmissions and bucket seats. Never seen one in person but i know they were built. Here a picture. One is white with green interior the other is yellow with green interior.

KIMG0767.JPG

KIMG0765.JPG